Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Goes To Windows Start Up Page

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 minnieskirts

minnieskirts

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:45 PM

My laptop has windows XP. I have an Averatec laptop that was working just fine until I went to use it this morning. I have only had the laptop for less than a month and it was refurbished.
When I turn it on now it goes to the windows start up page. I have tried the last good known point and normal. It goes to the black screen with the windows xp on it for a few seconds then it stops and goes back to the start up page.
I don't know anything about any anti-virus protection on it. It did have Phoenix Recovery on it, but the trial period for that had just ended.
What can I do? I cannot use it as it is now and am posting on a different computer. Should I go buy some virus protector? Am I too late? Please help! And thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by minnieskirts, 15 February 2008 - 09:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:07 AM

Why do you think it might be malware related? Did you have other symptoms before this issue arose?

Do you have the recovery disks? (Operating System)

Can you boot into safe mode or to a command prompt?

Do you see a blue screen flash before it reboots?

How far into the booting process does the computer go before it reboots? For instance, do you see the Windows logo at any point?

The answers to the questions above will take us pretty far down the road to knowing how to proceed.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 minnieskirts

minnieskirts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:46 PM

I did not have any symptoms or clue that there was a problem before this happened. I know this is going to make me sound really stupid, but I don't know what malware even is.
I don't have any operating systems disk as that was already on it when I got it.
I can get to the screen that asks me to reboot in the safe mode. When I rebooted in safe mode with prompts it came up with about 40-50 lines that all started with:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\.
On the first three lines the endings are:
ntoskrnl.exp, hall.dll, kdcon.dll
After that is very quickly flashed a blue screen that I could not read because it was too quick. Then it went back to the beginning and cycled over.

When I let it go to start windows normally, there was a white line across the bottom of the page and then it went to a black screen with the windows xp logo on it. After about 20 seconds on that page with the little progress bar(under the windows xp logo) acting like its loading it goes to a flash of the blue page and then off and recycle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users