Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do Not Know What To Do Next

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 repairman

repairman

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:31 PM

I need help with a problem that my IBM thinkpad 380ed is giving me, and that is it comes up with an error code, which is to set the time and date on the computer, but when I do it just goes back to telling that my time and date needs to be set. What do I need to do next??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:07 PM

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/mbsys/cmos_BatteryDead.htm

COPIED FROM LINK ABOVE:
The CMOS battery is dead or dying

Explanation: The system is exhibiting behavior that implies that the CMOS battery is dead. This can include lost CMOS settings, the real-time clock losing time, or of course dead battery warnings at boot time.

Diagnosis: On an older PC, it is normal for the CMOS battery to fail at some point in time. They usually last for many years, with over five years being the norm, at least on older machines. Nobody knows for sure how newer machines will fare. On a new motherboard, this sort of message is a sign of a defect, although you shouldn't worry about it if it appears only the very first time the board is powered up. The solution is replacing the battery, and this can be an either easy or impossible task, depending on how much thought the motherboard manufacturer put into the design.

Recommendation:..........See INFO in Link above

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:09 PM

Quite simple to access. The motherboard battery is located in the same compartment as the memory
.pdf manual for your laptop Here

Edited by garmanma, 15 February 2008 - 06:10 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 repairman

repairman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:53 PM

Thank You Buddy215 and garmanma. That is my problem, my battery only had like .7 volts left. Now I just got to find me a new one.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:30 PM

Here is a link from Google search for your CMOS battery.
I think most though would pop the old battery out and make sure to get the right replacement.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...G=Google+Search

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:49 PM

walmart, kmart, radio shack, even dollar general has em. just get the right number <$5

Edited by smurfgod, 16 February 2008 - 04:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users