Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This May Be A Stupid Question, But....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 billpocz

billpocz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

Please don't laugh, as I am actually serious (for once).

This question may sound naive, but if someone has the intelligence to craft a virus, why do they do it?

Is it just to get their jollies from wrecking other peoples computers (and in some cases their lives), or is there some other financial reason that I do not know about?

Again from my perspective, if I had the computer knowledge to do that, I would rather do something that is good for society and people in general.

Just something that has been on my mind for a while...

Bill
'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:56 PM

There's many reasons for making a virus:
- to see if they can do it
- to control others
- to make money
- boredom
- etc

Why they have the reasons is a different story. Why do people lie, cheat, and steal? Why do they hurt other people?

But, in the end, some people just don't care about anything but themselves - and it's some of those sad souls who do it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:58 AM

I was reading somewhere that someone had a theory that anti virus companies created viruses so you would buy their products. :thumbsup:

My theory though is irus creators get a kick out of other peoples suffering. Just like terrorists.

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:51 PM

Another thing I just read about is using a virus as a test bed for future virus concepts. For exampl, the digital picture frame viruses seem to only steal game passwords. It's speculated that this was just a test so that the virus writers can write a better virus to steal more important information.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 mejim

mejim

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:09 PM

They knew I was out here. So it was a no-brainer........get him.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:16 PM

I thought rhese were good reads on the subject
7 things to know about virus writers

What Makes Johnny (and Janey) Write Viruses?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

According to my GCSE and AS revision books, the above reasons are pretty cool.

Haha I also remember a quote from another revision book and it said that those who generally create viruses etc. are "pathetic, socially inadequete loners who have no job, or very little to do with their lives" (Or something along those lines)

So yeas...reasons such as boredom and finding things to do, for fun and too see if they actually can do it. Or maybe to annoy perhaps someone they hold a grudge against, like a company they used to work for.
Also people get paid for such things sometimes. To test security and defences of IT systems, or to test new software and how it can cope with attacks.

(: T
Crazyness comes to those who wait

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:04 AM

Who Writes Malicious Programs and Why?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Garric

Garric

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:16 PM

In every action, there needs to be motive and cause. I doubt that anyone gets up in the morning and honestly says, "Yay, lets see how many people we can hurt today." They might not care if they hurt people, but there is likely an alterior motive.

I would put the top ones as fame and fortune, though there are likely other causes as well. From my experience though, people tend to do horrible things for some kind of personal gain, not just to do it. Humans may be selfish, spiteful, often terrible creatures, but we act for gain of some kind, and always have motive. Despite what they are doing, hackers and malware creators are people just like the rest of us, not terrible monsters out trying to destroy the interwebs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users