Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsods And Corrupted File System Structure And Corrupted Drivers, Oh My

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 0001

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:57 PM

This problem started a couple days ago. There doesn't seem to be a user initiated trigger, as it first happened after the computer was idling for a while, and subsequent crashes/problems occurred at various times in various circumstances, all the while getting worse. I'll elaborate below, but first:

Hardware
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Processor: Q6600
Memory: 2x 1GB Ballistix (on QVL)
Hard Drive: 500GB Seagate 7200.11
Video Card: MSI 8800GT
PSU: 630W Raidmax

Software
OS Version: Windows XP Pro 32 bit, 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
Antivirus: NOD32
Firewall: Zone Alarm

The Problem
The computer is almost exactly two months old, and was running perfectly up until this point when, as stated, it crashed seemingly randomly and never stopped crashing since.

The first error I was not around for. I came back to my computer to find it was in an infinite BSOD-reboot loop, where it would clear POST and the Windows splash screen would pop up for about three seconds followed by an instant BSOD. It probably was going on for a good 20-30 minutes before I stopped it, which I did by completely powering down the system and then restarting. When Windows loads, it pops up the message 'Windows has recovered from a serious error'. I send the error report and it says everything is unknown except that it was caused by a driver, but doesn't know which driver. I figured it must have been a random thing, because I hadn't updated any drivers since first building the computer, and the last Windows update I did was a couple weeks ago. Everything ran normally, so I let it be... for about ten minutes, after which it happened again.

The first thing I thought was it might be a virus, even though I only use online email and scan everything I download (not much). About 30 minutes into the virus scan, it crashed again. I couldn't read the error code cause the BSOD went by too fast, but I quickly found out how to make it stay, and also learned of the Event Viewer. I looked up all the different errors... but I seemed to have misplaced the sheet I wrote all the early error codes on; I do remember that each one was different not just in the parameters, but also the error code, and the messages at the top were things of the nature IRQL problems, GREATER_THAN_EQUAL_TO, etc (sorry to not be more specific here). All the errors happened after various amounts of uptime, during many different activities. It crashed in safe mode too.

I managed a full virus scan, and it didn't detect anything. The only recent thing I installed was Firefox update to 2.0.0.12, so I deleted that to no avail. I didn't notice until I pulled up the Event Viewer that there were disk errors too:

Source: ntfs; Category: Disk; Event 55; The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:

After a couple more crashes this started happening immediately after POST:

STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
/windows/system32/ntdll.dll

After that, shortcuts started disappearing from the control panel and start menu. Error reports to Microsoft became corrupted too. Things were unstable. I decided to just reformat to see if this was a software or hardware. I deleted the partitions and wiped the disk, and then reinstalled Windows. And everything ran fine. I installed audio and video drivers and everything ran fine. Installed Zone Alarm and NOD32, and everything ran fine. I ran windows update, and everything ran fine. I rebooted several times and let it sit all day idling, and there were no problems. No errors in the Event Viewer, so I started loading things back on. First thing was ntune (from nvidia, it didn't cause problems in the past two months), then Firefox, then Steam (which I left on all night to redownload everything). Woke up today, to check on everything, and found it recovered from one serious error, but then loaded Windows and idled for a couple hours. The error being:

0x0000001a (0x00000780, 0xc0695958, 0x812baab4, 0x000004c0)

Microsoft error reporting said the cause was a device driver. Unlike the pre-reformat errors, my video card stopped responding. Device manager has it flagged with an exclamation, and said:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Also, just now, there is another message in Event Viewer for (ntfs, disk, event 55). Firefox crashed, but the computer is still running. If it acts like before, it will soon crash and I'll have another STOP error to give here.

I'm not sure what is just a symptom and what is the cause. Everything running perfectly for two months and then suddenly doing this seems more likely to be a hardware problem, especially since I reformatted and it still occurs. Unless it has something to do with Firefox 2.0.0.12, is seems like it is either my video card or my hard drive. The PSU is another thing, but I really have no idea what problems with those look like. My next step would be to go to nvidia for a new driver and do a memory test, but I'm going to wait for some responses.

Edited by 1, 15 February 2008 - 05:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:19 PM

all of your hardware seems made by reputable companies but for one

PSU: 630W Raidmax

Everybody makes a few bad power supplies

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRevie...False&Page=

Did the gigabyte mobo come with some monitoring software utilities?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 0001

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:10 PM

Did the gigabyte mobo come with some monitoring software utilities?

The motherboard came with Easy Tune 5, Easy Tune Center, and I-Cool. None are installed right now. What kind of information would be useful to obtain from them? And if a bad PSU is the source, what brands would make a good replacement?

But right now, I'll have to reformat again before I can install anything. The problem progressed quite quickly. As I typed my first post, several processes shut down and various corrupt file messages popped up until the computer froze completely (not even a stop error). Now when I start it, I get:

STOP: c0000135 {Unable to locate component}

Apparently secur32.dll could not be found.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:56 PM

Bios should show some voltage values which you can compare

say it shows 11.1 on the 12 volt rail, that's weak

A weak power supply can damage other hardware
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:15 PM

I would:
1) Run chkdsk /f /r from the Run dialog. It'll ask you if you want to schedule it for the next reboot - answer "Y" and then reboot. Let it run until it boots back into Windows.
2) Run a free bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive ( http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/ ) and test your hard drive
3) Run this free, bootable memory test: http://www.memtest86.com/

Have you installed the latest drivers for your motherboard/chipset and drive controllers? TCheck in Device Manager by going to Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Check for any rec x's or yellow !'s.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users