Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Vista On An Xp Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 risngdragon145

risngdragon145

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:36 AM

Can I install Vista on my desktop using the system restore disk for my laptop?

As I understand it if i wipe the hard drive of my desktop i can use the desktop system restore disk to reinstall the OS. Now I have the restore disk from my laptop (Vista home premium), so the question is can i use that restore disk to install vista on my desktop??

My desktop is a Gateway and my laptop is a Toshiba.

Thanks for the help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:47 AM

You would most likely be able to do it.

Try inserting the disk and restarting the computer.

You should be able to have the installation reformat the drive for you.

If this works you can avoid the risk of erasing the HD for no reason.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:37 PM

The answer to this is actually a resounding NO!!!! The Toshiba disk will install drivers for Toshiba hardware onto your Gateway systems - which will make the Gateway very unstable.

What version of Windows is on the Gateway right now? Do you have a licensed copy of Vista for the Gateway? If so, you may be able to get disks from Gateway to restore your system for a small charge. Otherwise you're faced with buying a copy to install on your system - which will cost a lot!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 risngdragon145

risngdragon145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:06 PM

I currently have windows XP on my Gateway and no I don't have Vista for it. The exorbitant cost of buying Vista is why I wanted to try and legally get around it lol. There wouldn't be a way that I could just install Vista from the disk? Or better yet would I be able to uninstall the drivers and then install the Gateway drivers? I really don't have the cash to get a vista disk for my Gateway it really isn't that important.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:50 PM

If xp came on your desktop you are far better staying with that, vista was designed for new machines, sure you can add ram so your old one has 2 gigs but that doesn't speed it up enough for running vista smoothly.

A faster dual core with premium video card should do fine
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users