Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updates Interfering With Starting Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lylouk

lylouk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:02 AM

Hello all!

This is my first post - and a long one too! Please bear with me. I am getting so frustrated with this problem, please advise if you know the solution. Am going crazy :huh: and I am not so good with computers.

A month ago, I had the following situation but in the end managed to sort it out by doing a system restore. (after trying many times before with no success!) Yesterday, the same problem started all over again.

So a month ago, upon noticing the exclamation mark (updates from windows) on the shut down button on the start menu, I pressed on it. The pc took some minutes to download updates then it shut down by itself.
The next morning, I turned on the pc, there was a pop up message saying it needs to download updates then it will re-start. It didnt re-start, there was a blue screen (like the log-in screen) saying: configuring updates. Then the pc never shuts down. So I had to press the forced restart button.
Later after turning the pc back on, it was not normal, the mouse and key board functions have slowed down.
I tried to restart the pc but it would not shut down.
Had the same issue of the updates message ... and it goes on like this for 2 days. The pc does not want to shut down. So I am not sure how many times I had to press the forced restart button.
Next time, I managed to log in (other times, there is not even the log-in screen, it only says : configuring updates) I went into the system restore and the pc refused to do the restore, it took even 30 mins to let me know about it. So - forced restart button again.
Next time I turned the pc on, it looks normal and I managed to do the restore! Then the pop-up message asking me to update came up. I clicked on it as I thought the pc seems ok now after the restore. But the problem started all over again.
So-forced restart button again and again...
Later, I managed to do the restore and the pc worked normally until yesterday! It all started again! :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:34 AM

So a month ago, upon noticing the exclamation mark (updates from windows) on the shut down button on the start menu, I pressed on it.

That would be roughly the time update KB943899 was released. It is causing issues with some people.
Try the suggestion here to see.

#3 lylouk

lylouk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:20 AM

Hello

Thanks for the suggestion, which I tried last night. Hid the updates and installed the others. Seemed to be quite normal but when the pc restarted after installation, the mouse function was not working properly, I also noticed there was 1 more update which appeared, tried to view it but the page was 'processing' the info for such a long time. So I decided to disable the updating option and turn off the pc. It was shutting down for over an hour. So I did a forced restart.
This morning, I turned the pc back on and after having this black screen saying the pc did not shut down properly, it was configuring updates again! :huh: But few minutes later, I got the log in page and all seems to be normal.
However I am scared of turning the automatic updates back on again but till when can I wait? - till the problem is sorted and the solution published by Microsoft?
Also how will I know which updates are 'safe' to install? Getting very confused and angry with Vista and want to get rid of it completely and go back to XP.

Oh, and should I do a system restore, just in case? Even if it is working now, may be it won't next time I turn it on. So I am leaving the pc on for the day today.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:03 AM

If you do the updates, there's a risk that something may happen. If you don't do the updates, it's sure that someone will try to exploit that - with the result being an infected system.

Another option is to wait a few days to see if others are having problems with the updates - but this is a chancy thing, and may not provide you with enough info to decide.

Keep your Vista installation DVD/restore DVD's handy and backup your data.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 beanniebaby

beanniebaby

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:35 AM

Hello

Thanks for the suggestion, which I tried last night. Hid the updates and installed the others. Seemed to be quite normal but when the pc restarted after installation, the mouse function was not working properly, I also noticed there was 1 more update which appeared, tried to view it but the page was 'processing' the info for such a long time. So I decided to disable the updating option and turn off the pc. It was shutting down for over an hour. So I did a forced restart.
This morning, I turned the pc back on and after having this black screen saying the pc did not shut down properly, it was configuring updates again! :huh: But few minutes later, I got the log in page and all seems to be normal.
However I am scared of turning the automatic updates back on again but till when can I wait? - till the problem is sorted and the solution published by Microsoft?
Also how will I know which updates are 'safe' to install? Getting very confused and angry with Vista and want to get rid of it completely and go back to XP.

Oh, and should I do a system restore, just in case? Even if it is working now, may be it won't next time I turn it on. So I am leaving the pc on for the day today.

Well this was my first visit to the forum. I have had to reformat my computer 3x since I bought it last June because of all the strange things that happen with vista. I am constantly fighting with it. And it always misbehaves after downloading updates I notice. So after reading that i am not the only one. I have turned off autoupdates and I will wait to update until I know there are no known issues with that update. Thanks for this great forum. I will be here more often.

#6 lylouk

lylouk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:55 PM

Hi

I will wait, just hope not to wait too long. I do not think update KB943899 is the only one creating problems. (even after 'hiding' it, the pc is acting weird) Anybody knows of any other 'bad' updates? (On another forum - KB941644, KB943411, KB943302, KB905866) I have visited different forums prior to this one and yes, there are many other people who face this same problem! sometimes even dealing with worse cases! There are a few other solutions offered but they did not work on my system. What a shame.
If anyone has good news, please do share... :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users