Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla Suite: Rest in Peace

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rdf8585

rdf8585

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:27 AM

Anyone have any comments, memories, or anything else to share in relation to the Mozilla Suite, which is now dead?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:51 PM

What do you mean its dead?

http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

#3 rdf8585

rdf8585
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:28 AM

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5611774.html

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:37 AM

The official response is:

http://www.mozilla.org/seamonkey-transition.html

The Mozilla suite will not reach 8.0, but the last published version will continue to be supported with security updates, etc.

I am rather unhappy by the choice to discontinue development of the suite, which I like because of how the two are integrated, but I can understand that the Mozilla folks are spread thin if they have to work on three separate applications at the same time. Hopefully, FF and TB will evolve more quickly now.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:46 AM

......... I can understand that the Mozilla folks are spread thin if they have to work on three separate applications at the same time. ......

I think it was in Business Week that I read, Mozilla.org has 16 employees, and a 2 million dollar budget.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:57 AM

I didn't look for the post but way back last spring/summer before FF became really popular, it mentioned in one of the FF faq's that FF was eventually going to become the replacement for the Mozilla browser. If that is their plan then nothing being done today seems to go against that and this would just be a stepping stone to that end. If the plan is to replace Mozilla with Firefox then they probably will ultimately create a new suite based around Firefox and Thunderbird at some time.

I wouldn't be concerned about what they are doing.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:40 AM

You memory is correct, Ronbo, although at the time, the question about the ultimate fate of the Suite was left somewhat open in the statement. I plan to use the last version of Seamonkey until the development of FF and TB progresses.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users