Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recycling Moniters?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:37 AM

Hey, I have a bunch of older moniters, that were left outside in the weather and rain for who knows how long, and I was just wondering, if I were to break them down and get out the glass and plastic and metals and seperated it all could I take it to a recycling center? I was just thinking about it when I took in my cans and bottles the other day, and thought, if I can recycle metal plastic and glass why not a computer moniter if its borken down?

Edited by spiffiestpenguin, 15 February 2008 - 12:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:23 AM

I don't think it is worth recycling them to be used again. Better off buying new ones.

#3 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:53 AM

Well, I already have a moniter that works fine, I was just wondering if these could be recycled, and maybe even make a little money off of them for recycling the glass and plastic parts. I know glass bottles and plastics can be taken into the recycling place for a cash refund (im in CA) but I wanted to know if I were to take apart the moniters, and take in all the glass and plastic if those could be recycled. I know that they have special places that recycle tv's and moniters because they are harmful to the environment, but I think they actually charge to take them.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:58 AM

Hi spiffiestpenguin.
There is really nothing worth recycling in a dead monitor. Consider yourself lucky if you can just get rid of them for free.
Monitors and other dead electronics that recycle centers collect are most often sold to various buyers who extract the materials they want from them in a refinery type melt down process. California's emission and pollution laws, being one of the strictest in the country, may make getting rid of them for free difficult but I don't know that for sure.
You may want to take a look here to see if you can find any. Some areas and communities also will offer a "one day a year, get rid of anything day" on normal trash pickups.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:26 AM

Check with the local branch of your DAV (Disabled American Veterans).
In my area they will take any electrical component, working or not, and will even pick them up for free.
At least they will be going to a good cause.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 boris003

boris003

• Banned
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

I also think it's better just get a new one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users