Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too Full Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jptwo

jptwo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:01 AM

I have a 320 gig hard drive and I have only about 2 gig left. I have some music and some photographs, but not nearly enough to use this much space. What could cause so much usage and how can I find where the usage is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:24 AM

You could try a search for any file larger than 9,900KB
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Guest_bwilstyle_*

Guest_bwilstyle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:32 AM

Hi,

Having a large hard drive like that prompts Windows to use a larger percentage of your hard drive for functions it doesn't not necessarily need.

Here are two methods that should get you about 5 gigs:

Quickest way is a System Restore refresh. This is where you turn off System Restore so it deletes all the saved archives, and then turn it back on. I've gotten a quick gig from this procedure on other clients' PCs.

1.) Right-click on My Computer. Click Properties.
2.) Click System Restore tab.
3.) Check Turn off System Restore on all drives. Click Apply and wait a moment.
4.) Uncheck Turn off System Restore. Click Apply, Ok and check your free space.

If that's not enough, see if there is a file in your root of C: called hiberfil.sys. That file is often unneeded and is pretty large. Its what allows Hibernation to work, often not necessary or used on a desktop computer. To turn it off:

1.) Right-click on the Desktop. Click Properties.
2.) Click Screen Saver Tab and click Power button.
3.) Click Hibernate tab and uncheck it to turn it off. After clicking ok, the file will be deleted.

If that's not enough, message me for more options.

#4 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:13 AM

There's a freeware app called SequoiaView which gives a graphical representation of your drive; this could tell you more about the problem.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#5 rongchaua

rongchaua

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:11 AM

@jhsmurray: Thank for your suggestion. There is also another tool for getting folder size. It's an open source http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/

Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:04 AM

...and if you have any Symantec products installled on your system, they do hidden backups of files which you attempt to delete (hidden Recycle Bin).

Depending on the size/type of files, this can eat into your hard drive space available.

I don't use System Restore, but the suggestion re that seemed like a good one to me, if one is going to use it.

Also, if you delete items (which go into the Recycle Bin)...that space does not become free again...until the Recycle Bin is emptied.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users