Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Axel.dav

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rheanon Funnell

Rheanon Funnell

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:08 PM

Two days ago our HP Media Centre m7248n PC suddenly "recovered" to original state upon start up. All data files were still there, but all programs that had been updated or added since getting the computer were back to their original state or gone completely. Internet Explorer said it was missing 'iertutil.dll' and would not start. A message box kept popping up saying 'unable to open axel.dav' and asking what program to use to open it. When I searched 'axel.dav' as a file I discovered 628 files in almost every folder in the computer. Although I can't open ie, the computer is on broadband, and the windows update came on while I was trying to find out what was wrong. The update reminder said that all 71 critical updates had been successfully downloaded and installed except the security updates, which would not complete. I contacted HP online on another computer and they suggested downloading the dll file onto a disc and installing it on the problem computer. I did so, and now ie just says it has encountered an error and has to shut down. This 'axel.dav' is everywhere and the only hits I got about it on the net seem to be old but say that it is something to do with malware that was already in certain HP computers.
Since I can't get on to the internet, are there ways for me to download and burn some of the scans onto cd's then load them onto the computer. The readers are still working, but the burner on the hp doesn't work, so I'm not sure how to get a HTS to you, since I don't want to save it to memory stick and then infect this computer I am using to post this. I think I will probably have to do a full reformatting, but one of the forums I found said that the malware is actually in the recovery disks. I would just like to get rid of it before I reformat and simply re-infect. I also need to know if I can save the data files on a memory stick without them being infected as well. If this is something that is just an HP issue, the second computer in our home is a Dell, but another post I read, said this 'axel.dav' is actually a vbs_redlof.A virus. Please help if you can.

Edited by Rheanon Funnell, 14 February 2008 - 09:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rheanon Funnell

Rheanon Funnell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:42 PM

Got internet up and running. Now having keyboard and runtime issues. Just need to know if this is a virus that can be spread or whether it is just an HP issue. Hijack this log:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:41:53 PM, on 2/15/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16608)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\fws.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\Rps.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\9972322\Program\Updates from HP.exe
C:\Program Files\NetAssistant\bin\mpbtn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\arservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\ErrorSmart\ErrorSmart.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Bell\Sympatico Security Advisor\SSA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Command Software\dvpapi.exe
C:\Program Files\NetAssistant\bin\mad.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\JIR3B214\HiJackThis[1].exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.baytoday.ca/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Pop-Up Blocker BHO - {3C060EA2-E6A9-4E49-A530-D4657B8C449A} - C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\pkR.dll
O2 - BHO: Form Filler BHO - {56071E0D-C61B-11D3-B41C-00E02927A304} - C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\FBHR.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ErrorSmart] C:\Program Files\ErrorSmart\ErrorSmart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetDefaultPrinter] c:\hp\bin\cloaker.exe c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c c:\hp\bin\defaultprinter\SetDefaultPrinter.cmd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD08] c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\{33D6CC28-9F75-4d1b-A11D-98895B3A3729}\hphupd08.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPBootOp] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe" /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlwaysReady Power Message APP] ARPWRMSG.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Security Manager] "C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\Rps.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: AXEL.DAV (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: ATI CATALYST System Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Event Reminder.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: NetAssistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\NetAssistant\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Global Startup: ReSchedHPSU.lnk = C:\hp\bin\CLOAKER.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Updates from HP.lnk = C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\9972322\Program\Updates from HP.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra button: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc...ash/swflash.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: DvpApi (dvpapi) - Authentium, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Command Software\dvpapi.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Security Manager Firewall (RP_FWS) - Radialpoint Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bell\Security Manager\fws.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Unknown owner - (no file)

--
End of file - 7541 bytes

#3 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:50 PM

Hi Rheanon Funnell, :thumbsup:

If you still need help please post a new HijackThis log as a reply to this topic. Before posting the log, please make sure you follow all the steps found in this topic: Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log , and I'll be happy to look at it for you.

Thanks for your patience. :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users