Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Drive Icons Into Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:16 PM

Hi everyone read a blog about a small program that will change your XP drive icons to look like the Vista drive icons in computer. I have downloaded and installed it in a VM with no probs and no threats detected so I went ahead and put it on my XP systems without a hitch.

Here is the link http://drvicon.sourceforge.net/

Enjoy.
MCP
MSDST

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:25 AM

Is it possible to uninstall and does it only work for the user who installed it?

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:46 AM

I've used it for several months on my XP installation and I love it. I haven't had any issues with it (aside from understandable ones with my Linux/EXT3 partitions).

If I recall, by default it only runs for the user who installed it; it adds itself to the startup list in the HKCU registry hive. Methinks that simply running the installer for each user or adding the executable to the "All Users" startup folder will remedy that.

#4 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

I guess if Amazing Andrew thinks it seems okay, I'll grit my teeth and take the risk. That is very unlike Me, but the cool factor has won.
Here' goes!
(famous last words)

#5 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

Well, it didn't kill me, but I had hoped it would change the icons on the desktop as well as explorer. I always keep my DVD and my SD drive on the desktop.

#6 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:33 PM

Hi RknRusty, no it only changes the icons in My Computer, it works fine here..enjoy.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users