Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Controlling Mouse Via Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Davros0

Davros0

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:09 PM

I wonder if anyone can help?

For some reason I seem to be a Grim-reaper to trackballs. As I have suffer from Cerebral-Palsy, which affects my motor-co-ordination, I find it very hard to use a mouse; for this reason I use a trackball. For some reason I seem to always get fluff, and the like, around the rollers. Only having the use of one hand I find it impossible to start dismantling things with screws in them.

When this happens, and until I find someone who can take the trackball apart, I resort to controlling the mouse via the keyboard. As I use a mini-keyboard (I hate full-sized keyboards) I find that MicroSoft's Mouse Keys is a pain, as to use it I have to turn on NUMLOCK to use the numeric keypad which is incorporated into my typing keys.

Up until now I have only ever found Key Mouse Genie that allows me to use the cursor keys to move the mouse, which I think is the most obvious choice, and in some ways is easier than me using a trackball.

Does anyone know of any other program that allows the user to control the mouse via the keyboard cursor keys, or any other keys of his/her choosing?

OS = Vista Ultimate-32

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:23 PM

I use a Kensington Expert Trackball. I like the big marble. All you have to do is turn it over and the ball comes out for easy cleaning. It has 3 guides the ball rests on that hold small nylon spheres. I removed those and replaced them with high-strength ceramic ball bearings and now it flies. An added plus is it doesn't seem to clog up as much
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Davros0

Davros0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:31 AM

Unfortunately, it is the Kensington Expert Mouse Pro that I have sat on my keyboard shelf. I used to have their Orbit trackball which lasted about 6 years (though it had been taken apart many times). When that could no longer be repaired I went for the Orbit Optical, but that was not very good and lasted about 9 months. When replacing that I looked at the Expert Pro, and thought that it looked a sturdy piece of kit. Since the Orbit lasted about 6 years (I loved that trackball), I thought that this would possibly do better.

After about 7 months it was getting "iffy", and just removing the marble, and cleaning, did not seem to cure it. A friend then took it apart and we used a paint brush on it to clean the circuit board and the guides. Fine for a few months. When we tried it again it did not seem to work. I could only move the pointer horizontally if I kept one of the buttons depressed whilst moving the marble.
Now even that does not work, hence the need for keyboard "replacement", until I can get this looked at or look at buying another.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:13 AM

2 sites to look at
Life without a mouse
http://www.cs.tut.fi
2 things to look for with your trackball. As I mentioned, the spheres that support the marble and the build-up of crud on the inside of the scroll ring. You have to scrape it off with a knife

Edited by garmanma, 15 February 2008 - 09:17 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Davros0

Davros0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for the links and the advice.

Hopefully the gentleman who was looking at it last was too gentle with it. From the sound of it a paint brush is sometimes not enough. :-)

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:24 PM

When you look at the white nylon ball guides, you'll notice that they will actually wear down and create a flat spot. That's why I went to ceramic. Yes, the crud on the scroll ring needs more than a paintbrush. When you're using the ball and the cursor is moving all over the place, that's an indication of the build-up problem
Mark
Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

The Logitech Trackman Wheel has a ball that's very easy to pop out. Even if you can't pull it out, there's a hole on the bottom that you can shove a pencil into - and out pops the ball. Then a quick swipe and you've cleaned off the rollers and can pop the ball back in.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users