Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Think I'm Royally Screwed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:08 PM

First off, sorry if this is the wrong topic to post this in...but I'm not exactly familiar where this would fall under...

I've been going through the forums to find a way to remove Hacktool.rootkit (which I did as Norton is not picking anything up anymore) after going through...BDDefender...DBDefender......whatever that free online scanner was called.....

Well, being the idiot I am, I forgot to make sure that I had the proper option checked......and as it turns out...something in that process got deleted.......actually, I think quite a few things did...(and I stupidly forgot to save a .txt file)

And because of it (well...supposedly speaking)...I ended up not being able to open up my C drive or my D drive. It always prompts me to use a program to open the drives...in which I don't know which one to use (which is quite sad of me...because I should be smarter than that...)...

Also, as an additional issue...I can't seem to access hidden files. I went through the steps on here, and checked the regedit. Those two things were correct, but it would always default to "do not show hidden files and folders".

Any help on those things is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm still looking into what else I can't do...and I'm also sorry if this is the wrong topic. I just don't know which topic those issues would fall under....

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

Do you have a XP CD or the computer manufacturer's recovery CD?

Edited by garmanma, 14 February 2008 - 06:16 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

I don't know if it counts, but I have a CD that's used during a reformat (which I've only used once through the year I've had this laptop...which was in the very beginning since I coudn't access...anything since I didn't have Admin priveleges......shutting up). I want to assume it's the same thing, but I'm not completely sure. I just know that it's the CD we use if we need to reformat our hard drive.

If it's not the same thing, I'm sure our I.T. guy has one.

So.....what would we need it for???

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users