Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nintendo 64 Pc?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:31 PM

My sister loves her Nintendo 64. Unfortunately, she cannot lug it around and it's too hard to hook up everywhere she goes. As a result, it's stuck down in the basement. I want to give her some mobility. I want to make her a Mini-ITX PC and make it as small as possible but with a battery power supply. I have a few questions:

1. I want to hook up four controllers, but the only controller-to-usb adapter I can find is a single-controller adapter and four would quickly diminish airflow and space within the tiny system. Does anyone know of a more compact way?
2. Should this suit the needs of a low-speed XP system?
3. I'm planning to use a Nintendo 64 emulator like Project 64. Is there a way to alter the startup photo and such things to be more persuasively only a Nintendo 64 and not a small PC?
4. Will the 3D graphics of the above motherboard suit the needs of a light 3D app like PJ64?
5. I am planning on using an APC UPS battery, like the ones the size of iPod videos, to power the system and to only occasionally charge it via USB. The power supply appears to only be a AC-DC converter, so can I cut it out?
6. Is there a smaller video card form than the "Low-Profile" form?
7. Is there a VGA-to-composite video adapter or do I need to buy an All-in-Wonder card?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Also wondering if you could pull off a miracle. Can you find a 9-inch monitor that is not CRT and is under $30?

Edited by Ryan 3000, 14 February 2008 - 05:13 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:40 PM

They make a 10" flat screen for double the price of a 22' monitor. They also make right angle card adapters. Check to see if there are any electronic surplus stores in your area. Kind of like a junkyard for electronic parts. We have one that I frequent ocasionally. You'd be surprised at what you find
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:46 PM

You can get small automotive style LCD monitors relatively cheap but the only problem is they are RCA input only.

Edit: You can edit the start up screen and the shut down screen of Windows XP. I google search Found this

Edited by Sneakycyber, 14 February 2008 - 05:49 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:11 PM

There's one important question I most need answered: can I use an AC-DC converter power supply with DC batteries
and can I just put in as many batteries as necessary?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:18 AM

Thats going to make the computer really heavy You'd be best served to use laptop batteries. Since the computer runs on DC power anyways you wouldn't need the Converter just a voltage regulator. Then theres the whole charging aspect of using batteries.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Sneakycyber, 18 February 2008 - 05:19 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:57 PM

Okay, I've worked out most of what I need to work out. My biggest desire now is to have a small TFT screen, particularly the PSP's since it is inexpensive, and I want to use it as a screen on the box secondary to the composite output. I've looked around but all I can find is a program that converts the output from the PSP to VGA, but I want to convert the input from the PC to PSP TFT signals. Is this possible or am I going to have to settle for a more expensive solution?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

http://www.consolesource.com
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:20 PM

If my input is DC in the first place, can I just replace the power supply with an equal wattage resistor or is it more complicated than that?
Also, do the resistors have a voltage limit at which they break? I want some method of internal recharging.

Garmanma:
I actually want to put in VGA and convert that signal to PSP. The device you listed will play PSP on a VGA from what I can tell.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 21 February 2008 - 03:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users