Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer and compatability with NT 4.0

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 justfoo

justfoo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 10 March 2005 - 11:56 PM

Hello all,
I have a friend who is looking for a new computer, but his stipulation is that he has to be able to run Win NT 4.0 sp6 on it.
Is there anything I should be carefull of in helping him spec a new pc for this? ie hardware types and such that might have compatability issues with this older generation operating system?
He is already leaning toward DELL but I dont' have a lot of confidence in getting a straight answer from those folks. Heard too many things these days about pushy sales.
Hope some of you can give me some insight here.
Thanks,
DF
Never let a computer know you're in a hurry. DF

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:33 AM

Hi justfoo and welcome to BC

He won't get a Dell with NT4 on it and he won't get a Dell without XP as far as I know. He should stay completely away from Dell. Also stay away from any other computers that use Restore Disks.

Any off the shelf IBM clone will run NT4 although you may have a problem finding drivers for some of the newer hardware. XP drivers will likely do the job though. Try going to a few computer stores that build on the premises and mention you already have NT4 and want to use it. If you buy a computer from one of these places without an Operating System you will save some money. You could also have the store put the NT on it for you if you don't want to try it yourselves. If you make the right deal they will do it for free as part of the sale. Another bonus in buying this way is getting a computer that is fully upgradeable without having to go back to some place like Dell for parts as you can't get them from somebody else.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:02 PM

What is the necessity to run NT, already an obsolete OS which has been updated twice - first by Win 2000 Pro and then by XP Pro?

#4 justfoo

justfoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:35 PM

What is the necessity to run NT, already an obsolete OS which has been updated twice - first by Win 2000 Pro and then by XP Pro?

Thanks for your replies folks.
I'll do some shopping around for him and see what we can find.
The reason for NT is because it is a computer that runs some older proprietary software whose manufacturer says it requires NT4 not above and he needs it to be stable. The Dell dimension that he's got now has run pretty much 24/7 since 1999. That is why he's pushing for Dell, but I think I can sway him.
My biggest concern was like you said hardware compatability with that old OS.
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:47 PM

You should be able to install NT either as a multiple boot or in a virtual pc on an XP installation. It may require XP Pro though, not the home version of XP.

There is nothing tremendously wrong with a Dell machine other than you can get much more upgradability in one you custom build, starting with a better motherboard and even such considerations as a case (tower, etc) which has more bays for peripherals or additional drives.

How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
IN THIS TASK
• SUMMARY• Disk Volumes and Disk Format
• Reformatting and Repairing Hard Disk
• Supported File Systems
• Precautions

• To Create a Multiple-Boot System with Windows XP and MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me
• To Create a Multiple-Boot System with Windows NT 4.0 and Windows XP
• Installing Programs on More Than One Operating System
• Specifying the Default Operating System for Startup
• Troubleshooting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;306559

#6 justfoo

justfoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:30 AM

Thanks Enthusiast,
I'll keep this in mind for my own pc which I'm alwasys poking and prodding away at.
But for his, what I had considered was format, and partition to 2 partitions, and fresh install NT4. this pc only job in its life is to run this archaic software, so upgradability isn't really an issue for it.
The idea is built it, run it for another four years, by then the software is due to be changed and at that time the machine would be replaced.
I guess what I need to do is start searching for hardware that still has compatible drivers written for NT.
Thanks again.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:23 AM

You could keep you Dell and add a second computer . Use a KVM switch to access the two computers . It is a little bulky but it will do the job and software conflicts should be min. , and if one OS goes down you still have the other intact . I have two at my desk , both Dell GX1's . One running XP Pro and the other ME . They are desktop models . I just stacked them and wired them with a 4 port KVM . It's just an idea (but works for me) . Good luck .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users