Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Will Not Load After Mutiple Re-installs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shaun1234

Shaun1234

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:49 PM

I am having a problem with my new computer.

It is about 2 months old. Here are the specs:
Sony VGN-FZ290 laptop
Windows Vista Home
2.00 GB RAM
2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
160 GB Hybrid Hard Drive with 250 mb flash memory

The problem started when installing new windows updates. During the period when the updates were downloading but not installing, I lost internet capability for just the internet browsers. I could still play an online game and I was still connected to my instant messaging service. The other computer on this wireless network was connected without any errors.
I restarted the computer to install the updates. They installed correctly and the computer restart. The updates were configuring for a long amount of time, and the computer restart.
Since then, I tried to load windows, to no avail. I tried repairing the computer with the default repair methods included with windows, which did not help.
I re-installed windows without formatting the hard drive. The system loaded windows, but a lot of the windows programs (explorer, defender) failed and began a loop of failing and restarting. Thinking this was a virus or spyware, the only solution I could attempt without incurring any more errors was to format the hard drive and re-install windows again.
This time the system loaded fairly well. There were still some errors with explorer, which seemed to follow the same loop of failing and restarting. I could access programs that did not directly use explorer (firefox) and re-installed many of the drivers for my laptop.
This morning, I restarted my computer, and I have not been able to load windows again, even after running many of the repair options on the windows install disk. The error that pops up after failing to load windows is:
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
ect...
It gives me the options to load into the various Safe Modes, Normal Mode, and Last Known Configuration, all of which do not load windows and bring up the same screen again.
After several cycles of trying to load my computer that way, the Windows Boot Manager Screen comes up again saying:
File: BATTC.SYS
Info: Windows failed to load because a required file is missing or corrupt.

As of this moment, I am running Chkdsk on /f /x c: through the command prompt option of the windows install disk.

This is as far as I have gotten. I think there might be some damage with the hard drive--this is the only solution I can think of. I would appreciate any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:07 PM

Have you checked your restore DVD's for any scratches/damage? That could cause this (as could a dying hard drive). Sony may replace them for free or charge a small fee for them.

You can test your hard drive with a free, bootable utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Shaun1234

Shaun1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:00 PM

The DVD does not have any scratches on it. I ran some of the VAIO tests to see if the hard drive had any errors -- they all came back saying the hard drive was OK.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:14 PM

I'm a bit confused by this:

160 GB Hybrid Hard Drive with 250 mb flash memory

Could you possible post a link to it so I can read some more?

Are you using the VIAO recovery disks? If so, I'd suspect that either the disk is damaged, or the DVD drive isn't working correctly (because it passed the hard drive diagnostics).

I'd talk to Sony about another set of Restore Disks - if that doesn't work, then return it for repair under the warranty.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Shaun1234

Shaun1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:19 PM

The hard drive is new technology, I think.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/...400_psd_hybrid/

I spoke with Sony tech support. They guided me through a format of the hard drive, which did not solve the problem. I plan on contacting them again soon.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:37 PM

It sounds like a great idea - but in this sort of situation I'm not sure how to interpret it. I'd suggest first running the SeaGate SeaTools on it - to ensure that it's functioning the way that the company intended it to.

I have no idea on how to test the flash memory - and how it's treated with by the BIOS and the OS. Gonna be a lot of reading for me in the near future! I've been looking forward to solid state drives for some time now, but never even thought about this sort of mixture!!!

I'd still suggest another set of recovery disks - just in case it's them (it'll save you having to ship the laptop off). Then, if that doesn't work, put it in a box and send it to them for warranty repair.

#7 Shaun1234

Shaun1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:46 PM

I'd like to run the Seagate SeaTools on it, but I can't load windows.

I don't suppose there is any way to check the hard drive without loading windows?

I will suggest the disks from them when i speak to them next, however, I feel like it's going to have to be shipped away :S.

#8 Shaun1234

Shaun1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

FYI, I am receiving this error now:
Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

FILE: \Boot\BCD
Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

I am on the phone with tech support. They will send me a recovery disk.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

This can be an error with the drive also (could be that flash memory acting as a flash/USB card and messing things up).

You can get the SeaTools for DOS at the same link http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/
Read the documentation carefully on how to make a bootable disk - then boot the SeaTools for DOS and run the complete gamut of tests on the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users