Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Log Onto Domain

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:07 PM

Quick question, not sure if this is possible or not...

Basically i have a laptop which is on a domain, the user who has the laptop has never logged onto the domain before so he cannot log into the computer yet, he has to log in under another persons name in order to get on....well basically he cannot get to an actual connection on the network, only can use VPN.

Basically is there some way to store his logon information into windows so it will let him log onto the laptop under his username?

Thanks!
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

Moved to a more appropriate venue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:28 PM

Not a domain expert here but I do have some experience with them. As I recall, if the computer is already joined to the domain and connected to the domain server then all you need to do is create a domain user account for the person and they should be able to log on to any domain computer using the account. But if I understand you correctly, this user and his laptop aren't connected to the LAN directly and must use a VPN to access the domain. If that's the case, you may want to create an account on the laptop for him and then create an account on the domain that has Remote Desktop privileges. That way he can log into the laptop and then log in remotely to a computer which is on the LAN.

Does that make any sense?

#4 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:52 PM

I believe what you are referring to is the Cached Login Credentials which is part of Windows XP for computers participating as clients in a domain networking environment.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q172931/

There are a couple of approaches to ensure that this functionality is active on the computer in question, refer to this article:

http://www.secure-eserver.com/index.php?ta...ng-cached-logon

The main tools that you can use to verify if the functionality is turned on (which by default it usually is) are:

regedit
and
gpedit.msc

NOTE: you will need to have the permission to access the regedit and gpedit.msc tools. Refer to the article above for the settings in the registry and group policy which determine the Number of Cached logins. Once you have confirmed that the settings are set to cache the login, login to the Windows XP operating system and be authenticated by the Domain Controller. Once the user has logged in once AND the settings have been setup to Cache the logins, Windows XP will automatically remember the username and password credentials so that the user can login without having to be authenticated by the Domain Controller (i.e. logging into Windows when not physically connected to the network).
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users