Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Voip Service

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:42 PM

Hi,
Does anyone know of a FREE VOIP service that:
1) has free Canadian phone number / access # (Phone-to-PC)
2) has free outgoing calls (specifically to Canada) ( PC-to-Phone)
and 3) works w/ a phone adapter?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:58 PM

I don't think there is. PC-to-PC calls are usually free because they don't have to connects to POTS. Once they do, charges happen. You can find VOIP for very cheap. You could try Skype, it charges a flat $3 (US) a month fee for unlimited U.S. and Canadian calling along with the option to use a regular phone.

3939.png

#3 n0data

n0data

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:04 AM

Well i use one that is PC-Phone FREE for canada and the US. its called iCall. www.icall.com . But I'm not sure about the phone adapter.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:53 PM

iCall is worth trying if you make alot of short calls to the U.S. and Canada. I've heard some complaints about iCall. Chief among them is that calls to phones are free for about ten minutes then you get disconnected. Then there are complaints about glitches and voice quality. Also, the price for their Pro service is expensive at $14.97 every three months plus there's no phone adapter. You could try Earthcaller, but that also has no phone adapter.

Edited by DJBPace07, 19 February 2008 - 05:13 PM.

3939.png

#5 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:31 AM

How about Skype? Is it at all possible to use it to connect to a SIP device (even if its only Skype-to-Skype calls) by eg. using a third party software, so i can talk skype calls on a regular phone (not usb one tho)?
thxs

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

In order to use Skype, you will need to have the Skype software. It doesn't matter what device the software is installed on as long as it has an internet connection. You can even use a PSP if you wish. There are a number of phones that support Skype. They're not USB and are independent of a computer, but you need to use a phone designed for use with Skype. These phones are similar in nature to cordless phones in that you have a base station that charges the phone and passes along a wireless signal to the handset. Some models have both Skype service and have a standard telephone jack supporting traditional POTS service. I've been a Skype member for a while and have found it to be a good service.

3939.png

#7 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

So, that means I won't be able to use my phone adapter (Linksys SPA2102) with skype (cant configure it to work w/ it)?

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:38 PM

No, it will not. Someone on Skype's forums asked the exact same question. Go to this link for the entire (short) thread.

3939.png

#9 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:16 AM

ok, thxs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users