Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Shake

Master_Shake

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:35 AM

Computer freezes periodically for a while. I went to the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal section and they found nothing.

I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus(7.0.0.125)

Things I have tried:
Defraged
Used chkdsk /r

Also I do not see any processes cpu going up when the pc freezes.

Edited by Master_Shake, 14 February 2008 - 09:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:43 PM

First, take a look in your Event Viewer to see if there's any errors around the time of the freezes. To do this, go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes), then press Enter.

In the Windows that opens up, click on the System log in the left hand pane and look for errors (around the time of the lockup) in the right hand pane. Then do the same thing in the Application log.

Also, please let us know your system specs. If it's a standard make of computer, the make and model should be sufficient. But if it's a custom build we'll need more info about it. To find this info, use this free utility: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html We'll need, at a minimum, info on your CPU, RAM, hard drive, and video card. From your HJT log it says you're running XP w/SP2 and IE7 - is that correct?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Master_Shake

Master_Shake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:43 PM

I have a HP a1330n, added 2x1gb of DDR 2GB 3200 dual patriot

There are no errors when the pc freezes. The only error I see is around when I logged in, the source is Service Control Manager.

Yes im running XP w/SP2 and IE7

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:03 PM

Double click on the Service Control Manager error and let us know what it says.

Try these tests also:

1) Go to Start...Run...and type in "chkdsk /f /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter. It'll ask you if you want to schedule it for the next reboot. Type "Y" for yes and press Enter. Then reboot and let it scan your system.

2) Install this free program to give a general idea of the state of your hard drive: http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

3) Open up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and click on the Processes tab. Then click on the View menu item, then on Select Columns, then put a check in the IO Reads box. Click OK to exit the dialogs, then resize the Task Manager window so you can see all the columns. Then, when the system starts to freeze, look at the columns to see what's taking up the most resources (the CPU, Memory, and IO Reads columns). Let us know the name of the process(s) and if there's a lot of difference or just a little difference between the other values (you can sort the columns by click on them).

Let us know the results of these tests and we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,385 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:37 PM

John, thanks for the link for HDTune, it looks pretty useful :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

It's a nice program, but it's generic. I prefer the manufacturer's utility in most cases - but every once in a while you can't get a drive to work with them. So that's my fallback position if it's booting into Windows.

#7 Master_Shake

Master_Shake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:21 PM

These are the descriptions of the errors:

The InCD Helper (read only) service hung on starting.
The npkcrypt service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
ftsata2

The hd tune says my hard drive health is ok

When the pc freezes I don't notice any programs cpu or I/O Reads go up. I do see that the processes wmpnetwk.exe and Isass.exe have high I/O Reads. 599,609 and 538,824.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:07 PM

Did you run chkdsk /f /r on the disk? That'll check the file system for errors.
The hard drive test tests the physical disk - and that's OK

InCD has been known to cause problems in the past - I'd suggest uninstalling it

The npkcrypt service couldn't start because Windows couldn't find it where it's supposed to be. It depends on if you have used (or are using) an encryption program on your system - are you? If so, uninstall and reinstall it using the manufacturer's recommendations.

The drivers for your Promise SATA controller failed to load (ftsata2) - could be causing freezing of the system. I'd suggest installing the latest copy of this driver that's available from the manufacturer of your system/motherboard/add-on card manufacturer.

wmpnetwk.exe has no business being that high in IO Reads
Isass.exe has no business on your system (could it have been Lsass.exe instead?) - if it's Isass.exe, then it's likely to be a virus.
If it's Lsass.exe, then it's either an exploit of your system caused by a virus - or it's a corruption of the system.
These 2 are most likely the reason that the system is freezing on you.

Try this free program ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...sExplorer.mspx). Select the smpnetwk.exe file and right click on it - then click on the Threads tab and see what's running under it (and let us know). Do the same thing for the Lsass.exe process. This may give us a clue as to what's hogging all your resources.

#9 Master_Shake

Master_Shake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

Yes I completed the chkdsk /f /r, but I started the scan before I left to go out and when I came back all I saw was the Login screen.

Also I'm going to need help uninstalling the InCD and the encryption service(don't believe I'm using it or ever used it).

I'm also goin to need help with upgrading the Promise SATA controller, I have no idea where to go for that or what version I have.

Sorry about that. :thumbsup:

Here are the threads for wmpnetwk.exe
I took a picture if thats ok
Posted Image

And heres what I think is Lsass.exe
Today the I/O Read is only at 19,000
Posted Image

Thanks for the help

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:24 PM

Before we start ripping stuff out - are you up to date with Windows Updates? Have you installed any of the optional updates (read the description carefully to see if they apply to you)?

#11 Master_Shake

Master_Shake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

I got the update on Tuesday, and I believe another one on Wednesday and another on Thursday.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

Please visit the site manually (by going to Windows Updates in your Start Menu) - and review the updates that are available (particularly the optional ones).

#13 Master_Shake

Master_Shake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

Ok I got all the updates from the site

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:33 AM

If that hasn't fixed the issues with Lsass.exe and wmpnetwk.exe - try right clicking on wmpnetwk.exe and select "End Process" - does that reduce the IO Reads for Lsass.exe? If so, I'd suggest disabling the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service in the services applet.

To do this, go to Start...Run...and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Scroll down the list until you get to the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (can't be sure of the exact name - my XP VM has crashed).
Right click on the Service and select Properties.
In the next window will be a dropdown box that says "Automatic", click on the down arrow to the right of it and select "Disabled".
Then click on OK to exit the dialog and reboot your system to see if this has helped.

#15 Master_Shake

Master_Shake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

I/O Reads for wmpnetwk.exe is down to 73,335 but seems to be slowly going up
I/O Reads for Lsass.exe is at 11,770 and also seems to be going up slowly

So should I go ahead with your advice?

Edit:
Forgot to mention when I end the wmpnetwk process Lsass doesn't go down.

Edited by Master_Shake, 16 February 2008 - 12:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users