Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Updates To Install?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spix14

spix14

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:53 AM

Someone on here before has mentioned that you shouldn't just automatically install whatever updates windows sends you. If this is the case, then how do I know which ones to install and which ones to not install? I'm scared to install anything, as I am deeply mistrustful of Microsoft. Thanks for any help you can provide with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:04 AM

I suppose this is a matter of opinion.

Sometimes IT Departments do not want updates automatically installed on their computers until they have been fully tested.

But for the average home user, automatic updates are usually the best choice, as at least this way they get installed. Most of the updates are security related. By not installing them you run the risk of getting infected or worse.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 beanniebaby

beanniebaby

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:07 AM

I would have agreed with this advice prior to buying a computer with Windows vista on it. It took me several months and your forum to figure out all the problems I have been having with vista are from updates that have been installing. I have now turned the auto update off and I will research the updates before I put them on my computer. May be a little more time consuming, but vista is so buggy it is not funny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users