Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thermaltake 500w Psu Died

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dragin

dragin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:59 AM

Hi,
I bought a ThermalTake 500 watt power supply to replace my stock 300w. It ran fine for the time my computer was turned on. But once I shut the computer down and put the case back together, I was unable to turn it back on. It would power up for a minute and begin running windows. Then the power cuts out, and it won't turn back on for more than a second unless I let it sit for awhile, in which case it runs for about 10 seconds. Are these signs that the power supply died? Please say it's not my mobo :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:45 AM

was the 300 watt working ok? or did it die?

had you added anything that was an extra load like a better video card?

are you sure you connected all the plugs to the motherboard?

if something killed the 300 watt PS then test

the new power supply may be defective but something might be shorting out, it's best to not repeat what you have been doing

unplug every extra fan except the cpu, disconnect any extra hard drives, all optical drives(cd-rom's etc), floppy drive?

visually inspect everything on the motherboard with a small flashlight

Edited by DaChew, 14 February 2008 - 02:47 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 dragin

dragin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:57 AM

The 300w didn't die, but I bought a new ati card that needed 450+ so I bought the 500w. Another thing to note is that I only have one HDD one optical drive and minimum fans, so I doubt im overloading the 500w. Anyhow I should probably tell you that my room is kind of wierd with power... i dont know how to describe it but theres static in certain things like raidios and intercoms when I plug them into an outlet in my room. My room has two 400w heaters a TV and a heat blanket and a laptop and sometimes two comps and its all (my entire room) is plugged into a single outlet like a big appliance.
oh well hope that helps,
ty for the reply btw

#4 dragin

dragin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:49 AM

oh well a replacements comin 2nite, hope i dont kill it

0 user(s) are reading this topic