Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ms Office Attachments On Limited Account Email

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TuckTheBrave

TuckTheBrave

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:41 PM

I wouldn't call my home a network, but we do have a desktop with Admin and Limited user accounts, a wireless router as well as a laptop. The problem I am having is with the limited user account. I set up the Admin account on the desktop so that I could avoid inadvertant changes to programs and such. I generally use the limited account and my wife only uses the limited account.

Recently, I noticed that when one uses the limited account in IE7, Flash Player based ads and such won't work (no error message - just a blank area on the screen) and none of the videos on YouTube (for example) work either (again, just a blank area on the screen). I uninstalled Flash Player then reinstalled, but nothing changed.

Then she logged into her email the other night (Yahoo) and tried to open some attached documents that someone sent her. One was in Excel, one in Word and one in Adobe - pdf. When she attempted to open each of them, this same error message came up:

"Internet Explorer was not able to open this internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

I went into the Tools menu in IE7 and ensured that the box next to "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" that you can find in the Security section of the Advanced tab was clear. I uninstalled MS Office 2003 and then reinstalled with a "Complete Installation" as opposed to the "Typical" one. But the problem still persists.

I went on to Microsoft's Support Site, but it seems that they only have solutions for "Internet Explorer is unable to open Office documents from an SSL web site". I didn't think that applied to my situation, but - of course - I could be wrong.

Has anyone encountered this and is there some workaround and/or resolution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:57 PM

Limited accounts do NOT allow for any of the above reported items to loaded. You must have more rights to be able to load these items. Try a Power User account or you may have to allow for Administrator Rights to be given. If so make sure you have your computer fully protected. It is a risky business letting people use administrative accounts. There maybe a work around but this is the only one that worked because my dad had the same problem and nothing else worked.

Edited by ComputerWhizz7, 15 February 2008 - 06:59 PM.

I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 TuckTheBrave

TuckTheBrave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:08 PM

thanks for the response. I tried tonight to see if it would work after removing some of the spyware software I have put on in recent weeks, but nothing changed. If you hear of any type of workaround, please post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users