Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotmail Spam Not Addressed To Me:

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:18 PM

Hi,

I was just wondering how I could possibly get a spam e-mail where the 'To:' part was not addressed to me! My e-mail has 8 letters, and only the first 4 letters are similar to the first 4 letters of the addressed one (which also has 8 letters).

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated (including from Spammers!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:35 PM

The reason you don't see it in the To: field:
Your address is in the BCC field. (Blind Carbon Copy).

http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/web1/bcc_field.htm Read this page for an explanation of BCC.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 February 2008 - 10:42 PM.

#3 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:34 PM

Oh yes! How could I forget the BCC field?! I had read about it before but completely forgot.

Anyway, I read on it again in the link you gave me.

Is this how spammers send their e-mails? But how about at times when they get your e-mail right, and the only e-mail in the 'To:' field is yours. How is this possible. Don't they send them in bulk? Or is it by luck that the 'To:' address happened to be yours while the others are addressed in the 'BCC:' field?

Thanks for the response.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:46 PM

if you wish to stop getting spam into your computer, try using Mailwasher but do not be tempted to bounce any spam mail as this in effect only confirms the validity OF your email and you will get spammed to death :thumbsup:

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:53 PM

Hi Juha,

To successfully deal with spam, the first rule of thumb is, never click on links in spam messages.
Even if it says "unsubscribe", to the evil spammer, it will just confirm that you are a real person. A perfect target for future attempts.

A second rule of thumb is, don't read spam. If the subject line looks too spammy and you don't know the sender, don't even open the message. And if you do, make sure you at least have pictures blocked.

The third rule is about getting the spam.
Just like you don't go hunting down virus writers but buy anti-virus software instead, don't hunt down spammers, but get a spam filter instead.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I usually break the second rule. I happen to open spam messages for some unknown reasons. Maybe I am bored sometimes. But I never click any links including 'unsubscribe' ones! It doesn't even make sense to 'unsubscribe' when you never subscribed in the first place! Nice trick from the spammers. I wonder what pleasure they get from spamming?!?!

The e-mail that I usually get spam on is the one I usually use for chatting, subscribing to newsletters etc.

Anyway, I'll try to stick to the rules.

Thanks ruby1 for the MailWasher... I'll check it out. I use web-based mail, don't know if it will work with it.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:34 AM

Juha, spammers have a neat little trick of embedding a bug into their spam. As soon as you open the message, the bug "phones home" and confirms that your address is valid, which makes you a target for spammers. Delete the mail without opening it.

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

I usually break the second rule. I happen to open spam messages for some unknown reasons. Maybe I am bored sometimes. But I never click any links including 'unsubscribe' ones! It doesn't even make sense to 'unsubscribe' when you never subscribed in the first place! Nice trick from the spammers. I wonder what pleasure they get from spamming?!?!

The e-mail that I usually get spam on is the one I usually use for chatting, subscribing to newsletters etc.

Anyway, I'll try to stick to the rules. :thumbsup:

Thanks ruby1 for the MailWasher... I'll check it out. I use web-based mail, don't know if it will work with it.

you are strongly advised to NOT open ANY mail you know to be Spam ; and a NO NO is to return a spam mail and tell then to 'please NOT send me any more mail ' this will result in a deluge of spam; guaranteed :trumpet:

suggest you pick a new mail addy for chatting, subscribing etc

and unfortunately mailwasher only 'works' if you use an e mail client on your computer such as Outlook express or Outlook and not a web based e mail addy :flowers:

#9 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:41 PM

Thanks again.

I'll make a note of it what you said..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users