Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Dying?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 lakelady

lakelady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:05 AM

Hi again,

I have double checked to be sure the drive is pluged in properly and is set to master as the diagram showed. I booted up with the XP disk in and I am not getting anything on the monitor but the hard disk sure was working hard for about half an hour. I am currently downloading the drivers for the motherboard... the internet is very slow tonight (5.03Kb/sec) so it will be a while.

I'm not compleatly sure of how to do this! So here are a few stupid questions for you...
-Should I be seeing something on the screen?
--If NO then what do I do next?
--If YES then what do you think I did wrong?
I was expecting to see something that looked like DOS but I only have a red screen.

Right at the moment I am feeling a little "in over my head" and kinda helpless... so I'm not going to do any more without advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:41 AM

Did you get anything on the screen when you booted with the Windows disk?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#18 lakelady

lakelady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:29 PM

No, there was nothing on the screen!

#19 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

Edited to remove foolish questions, I forgot that this is Page 2 :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 February 2008 - 01:23 PM.

#20 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:33 PM

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS?

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/set/advBoot-c.html

The HD activity light could mean different things, many of which are not good. You sure it was the hard drive light and not the CD/DVD drive?

I guess that I don't understand why you report nothing on your monitor...did the system even POST?

http://searchcio-midmarket.techtarget.com/...i214577,00.html

No message at all displayed by the monitor or the system?

You did check the monitor connection to the computer system, right?

Louis

#21 lakelady

lakelady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:57 PM

OK you can start laughing at me now... I sure am!

Added a graphics card but still had the monitor plugged in to the old one :thumbsup:

Now I have DOS looking stuff on the screen and it said:

Remove disks or other media.
Press any key to restart
---I removed the XP disk and pressed the spacebar and now have this:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEMDISK AND PRESS ENTER
---should I put the XP disk back in or is it wanting something else?

#22 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

It wants to boot. Make sure that it's set to boot from the CD, and that the XP installation CD is in the drive. It'll start loading stuff automatically once it's done right. Here's a link to some screenshots of what you'll see: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#23 lakelady

lakelady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:09 PM

Ok I will go look at that site in the meantime how do I set it to boot from the CD?

#24 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:26 PM

Ok I will go look at that site in the meantime how do I set it to boot from the CD?

You have to go into the BIOS and make the selection there
It should be in the Advanced CMOS Setup
Example Look in important settings

Edited by garmanma, 16 February 2008 - 02:27 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#25 lakelady

lakelady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:26 PM

The site you sent me to is telling me to check the manual for the motherboard for instructions to boot from CD

I do have it but I am useing my VISTA laptop and the manual is an .exe is it ok to allow this to install on Vista? I really don't want another messed up computer!

Also on the DOS looking screen it says near the top of the screen:

Pri. Master Disk HDD S.M.A.R.T. capability .... Disabled

is this correct?

#26 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:31 PM

What is the make and model of the computer that you're putting the hard drive into? HP and Compaq use the "Esc" key to change the boot order, Gateways/eMachines use the F10 key, etc That, more than the model of the motherboard, will determine what to press to change the boot order.

#27 lakelady

lakelady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:48 PM

Very good question!

The person who originall purchased it or built it is now deceased. There are two stickers on the outside one is the MSI Mainboard and the other is AMD Athlon XP also mom gave me an MDG XP disk but it may or may not go with this computer.

Does this help???

#28 lakelady

lakelady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:51 PM

Now we are getting some where!! It was the Delete key!

I am now looking at the Phoenix - AwardBIOS CMOS Setup Utility

#29 lakelady

lakelady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:01 PM

Boyfriend stopped by and changed the boot sequence for me Windows is now setting up!

#30 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:05 PM

That's good to hear, let us know how it goes and we'll work with you to set it up after XP is finished installing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users