Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ms Word 2003 - Flashing Hourglass

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ncmtp

ncmtp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:43 PM

My OS is Windows XP and I'm using MS Word 2003. Word 2003 is the only application where this problem occurs.

About 3 weeks ago, I discovered that in seemingly any Word document (old documents, those created by other people, new documents, etc.) once Word has been open for a few moments, the mouse pointer quickly flashes as an hourglass about every 2 seconds. I have never had any error messages in Word since this began. This isn't a really big deal (although it is more annoying than it might seem) but I'm worried that it's a symptom of another problem.

I run a Spybot, Ad-Aware, and a Symantec scan once a week. I have Symantec anti-virus and the program version is up to date. I haven't taken any other action to resolve this problem.

I've seen others post this question to other forums, but it seems like they end up submitting a logfile to check for viruses, etc. I can do this too, but I wanted to see if there might be another explanation.

Thanks for all suggestions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:43 PM

First try using the Detect and Repair option in Office
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822238
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:07 AM

Most likely something running in the background causing it. Hourglass always means "busy'.
If you have installed anything new just prior to the problem, i'd suspect it.
You could try turning off auto save and voice recognition within outlook, if active, to see if it's one of those.
If not, temporarily kill all running apps then test. If it stops, re-enable one at a time and test again.

#4 ncmtp

ncmtp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I tried Detect and Repair in Word and the problem persists.

I can honestly only think of one program that I installed around the time this problem began and I uninstalled it before I posted this question.

I disabled autosave in Outlook. If you meant Word as well, I did disable AutoRecovery as well as "Allow background saves" and the hourglass is still flashing.

If by "temporarily kill all running apps" you mean close all applications, that does not change the flashing. Do you mean something different? Do you mean that I should end all processes from the Task Manager?

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:20 PM

Try ending one application at a time with Task Manager to see if you can narrow down what it is. It might even show as "not responding"
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users