Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dark Screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 silversami

silversami

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:09 PM

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me. The other week i was running my laptop of the battery and when the battery ran out it just turned itself off.

When i plugged in the adapter and re booted my screen was quite dark. I can still use the lap top, hence why i have been using it with the dark screen, but i now want to watch DVDs on it and the colour isn't very good.

It's difficult to explain, it's like the colours have lost thier brightness.

I have tried going into the power options and changing it to all the different power options and i have also tried adjusting the brightness of the screen using the lap top keys that adjust brightness. I have tried troubleshooting it in windows, but i can't find anything helpful, The only info i can find is below

Display Dims When Laptop Is Unplugged from AC Power Source

This article was previously published under Q307442
SYMPTOMS
When you unplug your portable computer from an AC power source so your computer is only using battery power, the display may dim.
Back to the top

CAUSE
This behavior can occur when Windows XP dims the display to reduce power consumption and improve battery life. Note that this only occurs if your computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) supports the alteration of the display brightness level when you are using battery power, and your computer is in Advanced Configuration Power Interface (ACPI) mode.
Back to the top

STATUS
This behavior is by design.
Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
You cannot alter this behavior in Windows XP, but you may be able to alter this behavior in your computer's BIOS. To determine if you can alter this behavior in your computer's BIOS, view the documentation that is included with your computer.

However i have no idea even what a BIOS is and i didn't get any documentation with my computer as i bought it off ebay.

I hope someone can help. If u need any more information please ask.

Thank you for your time.

Sam Weller

Edited by silversami, 13 February 2008 - 05:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:46 PM

I don't think the symptoms you are describing can be attributed to the OS changes the article describes. The article refers to a feature in Windows that is desinged to increase the battery life of your laptop by auto reduicing the brightness level whenever you unplug the laptop. If this were the cause of the problem as soon as you plug the laptop into a power outlet the screen should return to normal brightness.

What you are describing sounds to me like it may possibly be a hardware problem. I am only speculating that part of the backlight for the laptop may have failed. It is hard to say for sure without seeing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users