Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel Keeps Crashing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nephinview

nephinview

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:12 PM

When I go to the Control panel and click on the System Icon the Control Panel crashes.

Any ideas? Any help/suggestions appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:05 AM

Hi there nephinview, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

To better help you, we're going to need a little more info about your computer and the problem. Can you tell us the version of Windows XP you are using (like Home Edition, Professional, Media Center) and the service pack? Also, do you receive any error messages when the Control Panel crashes or does it just die a quiet death? Do you recall doing or seeing anything out of the ordinary around the time this started happening (for example, installing a new program, new drivers, a virus infection, etc.)? One more question: do you use Norton or Symantec Antivirus?

#3 nephinview

nephinview
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:50 AM

Andrew,
Thanks for you reply.

I am using Windows XP Home edition, Version 2002, Service pack 2 and I have Norton Antivirus installed.
I cannot access any property in the Control panel. Once I click on any Icon it just "dies a death". I get no error messages. I did not make any new installs or changes prior to this happening.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:26 AM

Hmmm... Such things are usually indicative of some sort of malware infection, but not always. Try to access the Control Panel while in Safe Mode.

How to access Windows Safe Mode:
  • Restart your computer.
  • When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
  • Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
  • Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
  • When Windows starts you will be warned that you are in Safe Mode.
While in Safe Mode, most programs won't work correctly or at all, networking may not function, your screen resolution and colors will be ugly, and only the barest essentials of Windows will be running*. Open up the Control panel and see if anything works or they just quit like they do in Normal mode.

#5 nephinview

nephinview
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:39 AM

Andrew,
Works exactly the same way in Safe mode. Just crashes. Where to now?

#6 nephinview

nephinview
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:41 AM

Andrew,
Works exactly the same way in Safe mode. Just crashes. Where to now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users