Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Crashing During Backup...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:57 PM

I hope it's OK if I make a new thread of this specific problem.

It appears that whatever software I use to Backup my files - half way through, a computer crash occurs.

Here are some screen shots.

Is there any way I can repair this problem without a clean-install of my hard drive?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
[img]http://i38.photobu[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/ruffdiamond/systemerror4.png[/img]
[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/ruffdiamond/systemfailure-1.png[/img]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:13 PM

Considering that the hard drive is the key component capable of preventing a backup...I'd say that it would be extraordinarily wise to consider that the stumbling block in all your varied attempts with varied software packages. It's hard to believe that they all possess some innate XP incompatibility.

If that's the sole constant, seems to me that you would want to fix that.

If you have a clue as to what system component...might sub for the hard drive as suspect...by all means, speak up.

What do errors in Event Viewer indicate?

I guess I know that doing a clean install is not...the end of my world :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:17 PM

Event Viewer? I'll have to look that up on Google.

But I think the culprits might be these two files. I'm thinking of deleting them, and then seeing if this has solved the crash problem.

Posted Image

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:52 PM

Those 2 files are the report of the error - deleting them won't solve a thing (and may lose some info that you need to fix the issue).

But first, here's a link to the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x9c

Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

This error is generally generated by the CPU, rather than Windows, so the things that it can monitor are a bit different from the usual memory dump (the file that ends in .dmp is your memory dump).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

Thanks usasma.

I only just recently had my CPU fan system upgraded to a more powerful one to improve cooling. And now it seems that this crash problem could very well be due to overheating during Backup. At no other time does the PC crash - only when doing a Backup.

Looks like I've got another expensive trip to the computer repair shop.

Why didn't I stick to television?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:32 AM

I'd suggest using a temperature monitoring utility to see if anything is overheating. I like SpeedFan (it's free here: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php ) but others here on the boards prefer other utilities.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:40 AM

I only just recently had my CPU fan system upgraded to a more powerful one to improve cooling. And now it seems that this crash problem could very well be due to overheating during Backup. At no other time does the PC crash - only when doing a Backup.

Have you checked to ensure that your new CPU fan is seated correctly? Especially when you said that you have replaced your fan. An incorrectly installed piece of hardware can cause numerous problems.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#8 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:10 PM

My new fan was replaced at the Computer Shop at their suggestion.

It would really help if I could find my Backup utility's 'Event Log'. Last night I emptied out my External Hard Disk of what it had stored in there from Backup before my PC crashed. Then I set a full Backup again, with my computer set to auto-hibernate when the job was done.

This morning when I saw it had auto-hibernated, I thought "whoopie-doo! - it's done the job without a crash!"

O sad delusion. Upon starting up the PC again I discovered that only a few files had been backed up - and these were the remaining files that hadn't yet been backed up the night before because of the crash. My new selection for Backup had been completely ignored.

And the reason the PC didn't crash this time was because the Backup only ran for 34 minutes instead of the 4 hours or so.

It's either an over-heating problem, or one of the Backup files has a little suicide bomber in it.

I'll be running a full backup again this morning. If it crashes - I'll be taking the whole box-and-dice to the PC Shop. I don't know what else I can do. Yesterday I did a re-install using my Windows XP Home Edition Installation CD.

#9 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:32 AM

Just out of interest what program are you using to backup your data and have you thought about removing it and reinstalling it?
Posted Image

#10 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for your interest, usasma and FireKracker.

I've got to admit I'm close to defeat with this one. While running Genie Backup Manager yesterday, I used my SysSpec software to keep track of the drive temperature. During 1hr 20mins of running Backup, the temp went from 40C to 42C.

I have no idea if that's an okay temp or not.

Up until 1hr 20mins the Backup was going brilliantly... and then I popped out for half an hour. When I came back, there was no Backup in progress, and the computer had not gone into hibernation as I had set it to do. But then the mystery deepened. I opened up Genie again, accessed the log - and apart from the name I had given my Backup task, there was no event record there.

I went to E:\ (my external hard disc), and discovered that about 31GB of a 36GB Backup had been saved to there. So maybe it actually did do the whole job after all. Close enough anyway. I wish they would be a little more careful with stating whether these GBs are compressed files or not.

Last night I again installed Acronis True Image Backup system which I might try to use again. I've tried Cobian backup, Windows backup, Acronis backup, Genie Backup and Norton Ghost Backup.

I'm having a problem accessing and viewing what I have backed up to my external hard disk.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:01 PM

Posted Image

Goodbye cruel world...

Posted Image

#12 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:49 PM

Humm bit of an odd one this is, especially when you are trying different programs. I'm thinking that there maybe something interfering with the backup process. Have you tried closing and disabling all other programs that might be open in the system tray or running in the background e.g. andivirus/firewall (unplug modem or router first).

Alternatively there maybe something wrong with your external backup device.

Hope this has provides some more food for thought!
Posted Image

#13 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

FireKracker... I'm no longer a Backup virgin - I did my first successful Backup last night.

For the first time ever the PC didn't crash during Backup. I set my Genie Backup Manager Pro v8.0 to automatically hibernate the computer after it had done the job... and then I went to bed.

It Backup my files for nearly 3hrs 30 mins - and then hibernated the PC. Everything went smoothly.

Thanks for your interest and helpful advice.

Posted Image

#14 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:58 PM

Quality Bone Idol!

Hopefully this has sorted out your problem!!
Posted Image

#15 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:40 AM

Quality Bone Idol!

Hopefully this has sorted out your problem!!

Thanks!

All that's left for me to do now is to set my Backup system to do daily incremental backups - and I think I'll be okay then.

:thumbsup:

Update: I can't understand why my full Backup total was estimated to be 86.41GB, while the incremental Backup that I have scheduled for later, shows an estimated size of 109.48GB.

It makes no sense to me. Surely a few added files wouldn't be much more than 1 or 2 GBs?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Bone Idol, 19 February 2008 - 05:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users