Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Perpetual Power Restart

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ponzio

Ponzio

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:38 PM

History: PC locked up after watching 5 internet movies [Netflix]. I pushed the restart button and now it perpetually powers up/powers down in 2 second intervals. Twice it looked like it was going to power up but I never got to the post screen and my HD indicators were constantly lit; as long as 6 minutes one time. The constant power cycling will go on forever unless I unplug the power cord or shut off the PSU.

Troubleshooting: I alternately removed/disconnected all/some of the PSI cards, RAM, HDís with no change. This led me to believe that since I was never getting to the BIOS screen, the MoBo/CPU was not getting the correct voltage [too low/high?] from the PSU and the MoBo/CPU would initiate another restart. I purchased a PCPower & Cooling 750W Silencer PSU, installed it and sadly there is no change.

Is there anything else I should try before replacing MoBo/CPU?

Edited by Ponzio, 13 February 2008 - 03:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:05 PM

Wow that is strange it sounds to me like you have done everything you can do to narrow it down, I would have to assume the mobo is bad. Maybe others will have some ideas, post back and let us know what you find out.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

Just to clarify, you removed most of your PCI cards try to boot and no joy. You removed all of your drives in addition to the PCI cards and still no joy. You removed everything accept the processor and video (assuming its on board) and still nothing. All using the new power supply? If this is correct I would seek out a shop that can test the Motherboard and cpu. Replacing both is costly and if there not the problem an expensive lesson. Also before taking it in for testing if you haven't tried just the CPU, Memory, and video. If you have access to an internal speaker it would help you to hear post beeps or your computer screaming for help :thumbsup: if there are any.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Ponzio

Ponzio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sneakycyber: If you have access to an internal speaker it would help you to hear post beeps or your computer screaming for help if there are any.

Thatís the problem there are no beeps from the MoBo; it doesnít get that far. Iím pretty sure that I have a bad MoBo at this point; I just wanted to be certain before I send it back to Gigabyte.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:24 PM

If its under warrant defiantly send it packing. Make sure to get a RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) first.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users