Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! My Cd Drive Is Taunting Me!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 theEpic

theEpic

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:07 PM

Hello! :thumbsup: My name is theEpic, and I'm new here. I have been having a problem with my computer. I play The Sims 2 (a lot), and you must put the CD in the CD drive to play. Well, the other day I put the CD in, and the computer did not respond. The first thing I did was pop the disk out and then back in. Still didn't react. I checked the CD for scratches, and it was clean, but I cleaned it again anyway. I tried it again, then tried the second drive. Nothing. I went into My Computer, and the disk wasn't showing up, so I know it's not a problem with AutoPlay. I tried a couple of other games, and one music CD, and none of them are recognized by the drives, so the problem is definitely with the drives and not the disk or game. I have tried going into the BIOS, and the drives are shown there. I tried opening up the computer, and it looks like they are connected correctly, although I'm not a computer genius by any means. I went into the Device Manager, and both drives have a yellow sign with an exclamation mark next to them. When I checked their properties, they both have this under Device Status:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Also, this is probably relevant: Nothing else has the yellow sign next to it, except for an item under "Sound, video, and game controllers" called "Unknown device". This is its device status:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

Well, while I was writing this I decided to click "Reinstall Driver". A wizard came up which did the installation for me (I don't know where it got the driver from), and then told me that it had finished installing the software for Microsoft Kernel Acoustic Echo Canceller. Now the device has a new status:

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

Now the "Microsoft Kernel Acoustic Echo Canceller" is not showing up in the Device Manager. Does this have something to do with my CD drives not working? And I've attached my DxDiag.txt file, if that's any help.

Thanks you in advanced for the help. I'll be really grateful. :flowers:

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:18 PM

:thumbsup: To Bleeping Computer

After googling I found an article on Microsoft but I am not sure what it means. I am going to refer this thread to the XP forums since this seems more like a software issue.Once they determine its a Hardware problem we can go on trouble shooting the drive (which isn't much for CD/DVD rom). This thread will be moved by a moderator.

{Mod Edit: Moved to Xp as requested~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 13 February 2008 - 07:48 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:23 PM

I believe you need to delete the upper and lower filter keys described here about 1/2 way down
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Edited by garmanma, 13 February 2008 - 09:24 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:57 PM

For what it's worth, I concur with garmanma.

#5 graeme22

graeme22

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

hi are you using 2 drives ? have you check if one is set 2 master and the other 2 slave ? just a thought

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users