Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Display My Website?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 chow2rich

chow2rich

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

I'm using operating system Windows Vista and I can't display my website using IIS? Can anyone help me or tell me how to display my website? Thank you. I'm currently studying Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 in VB2008. My professor got me to download from No-IP.com a software to know your public IP Address that's your dynamic ip address. But still couldn't display my website after I created one. Anyone please help. Help is appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:19 PM

Are you trying to host the page on your own system? Does your IP allow that? Some IP's block port 80, so you can't run a web server. If port 80 is not blocked, then we need to know if you have a router, or if you are just running through a modem. Then we need to know if you have the firewall enabled.

#3 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:46 PM

I enabled all of them. I'm trying to program it so I can access this to the world. I can remotely access it. I enabled my Netgear Router, my DSL Modem, and my Windows Firewall. So I don't know what's the problem.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

Does your IP allow that? Some IP's block port 80, so you can't run a web server.

Have you determined that yet?

#5 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:58 AM

What do you mean does my IP allow that? I really don't understand what your talking about. But I did enable everything. Like firewall, and my router. But I couldn't get it work.

Edited by chow2rich, 19 February 2008 - 10:58 AM.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

Some IP's do not allow their clients to run webservers, so they block the port that is necessary for running a server. See if your IP blocks port 80. If they do, then you will have to do things a bit differently in order to host web pages.

#7 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:32 PM

How do I find out if my IP is blocking Port 80? What command or utility to use to find out this information? Help is appreciated. Thanks.

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:43 PM

Well, the easiest way is to go to the website of your ISP provider, and see if there is any information there. Or you could call them. Or you could go to another machine and see if you can telnet into port 80 of your machine. If you can't, it's blocked.

#9 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:06 PM

I have Bellsouth as my ISP provider. And yes I can telnet, from another computer from my house into this machine that's having problems.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:32 AM

Just to clarify, did you use the default telnet port, or did you try to telnet into port 80? Most people forget to check the correct port. (I am just trying to be thorough). Everything I know about Bellsouth indicates that they do block port 80.

EDIT: Assuming for a moment that you are bale to host, when you try to access a page, do you get any kind of error message?

#11 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

I'm guessing I'm telneting using the default port. Because I didn't specify or anything.

#12 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:05 PM

Still couldn't display my website. How can I find out if my ports are blocking my IP?

#13 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

First, you try telnetting into port 80, as I said above. Or you contact your ISP and ask if they are blocking that port.

EDIT: What happens if you open your browser and type in http://localhost (assuming that you are running your server on the same machine)

#14 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:05 AM

When I go to http://localhost/ I see my webpage. But I can't access it using my domain name. I can only access it using my private ip address. HTTP://192.168.1.97:80 but this HTTP://duo-core2.no-ip.info the domain name I got from NO-IP.com. Please help. Help is appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by chow2rich, 28 February 2008 - 01:55 AM.

#15 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:55 AM

You might have mentioned that you could access it with a direct IP address.... that would have saved a lot of time. That means that your IP is not blocking port 80, and that you just have not configured your domain to point to your server. Somewhere at no-ip, you need to tell it what your ip address is.
http://www.no-ip.com/support/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users