Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropping Connection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 simonrjnash

simonrjnash

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:22 PM

i have a advent m410 1.46ghz laptop with a intel PRO wirless 3945abg internel wirless network, i try connecting to the home netgear router and it connects for a few seconds then drops again, and continues repeating it, how can i get it to stay connected????? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:39 PM

What OS are you using?

Is there more than one computer on the same network?

Is this the only computer with the problem?

Are there any errors being reported in device manager?

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:43 PM

running xp home, the main computer connects fine, but thats because the ethernet cable runs into it, i dont understand why the connection for the laptop keeps dropping? it doesn't report anything, it just connects then drops, it has excellent signal, but then drops and repeats

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:13 PM

Hello,

Are you using the pro wireless software to connect or are you using the windows built it software, the problem you describe can sometimes be caused bu conflicting wireless software.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:04 AM

i use the windows network finder to find the network, then tell it to connect to it, it connects to it but keeps dropping, im not sure how to use the pro wireless software, i just use the internet pro wireless instead of a external device.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:27 AM

If you open the pro wireless software, does it display a list of connections available? if it does then click the advanced button and select "let windowsmanage wifi"
Regards,

Alan.

#7 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:17 AM

there is no software for the wirless, it was already built in so does not have software that u can click onto, i think that windows might be managing it, because i use windows to adopt the network when it communicates. i.e. let windows find avaliable networks, and then go through properties through that????

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:46 PM

The intel pro wireless software looks like http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/mobile/cent...ots/wifi-1s.png if you see a list of available networks it is managing your connection. However, windows has its own wireless software built in if you see http://images.pcworld.com/howto/graphics/1...rkOptions_b.jpg Then windows is managing the connection. If you see a list in both, then they are both conflicting with each other and one should be disabled.

I have experienced this problem before and disabling the intel pro wireless and using the windows built in version solved the problem.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 simonrjnash

simonrjnash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:28 AM

cheers, that and a password problem sorted it perfectly, the password was originally in CAPS and when i typed it in i was using lower case, its always the simple things. now to get onto xbox live, do i need to change anything now its wirless, my settings are manual at the moment, do they need to change?

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:11 AM

I'm glad it worked,

Regarding the xbox, you should post a new topic on the forum, I am still using the original xbox so would probably not be able to help.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users