Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti Virus Software

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 holdenbates

holdenbates

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:36 AM

Hi,
Just about to purchase an inspiron notebook from dell. Should i get the anti virus software they sell or is there a cheaper or free version online anywhere??
They're selling some version at $120.

Thank you..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:53 AM

My advice-DON'T purchase Norton. In fact, don't purchase any anti-virus and firewall-you don't know how they will work with your system. There is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security programs. What works for me may not work for you. Norton (or any other security product) might slow down one user's computer, and work fine on someone else's system. It would be a waste of your money if you purchased Norton and it didn't play nice with your system.

Before purchasing your Dell, research the options. There are some excellent free programs available.
You can find a list HERE- Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Choose one, install it, try it out. If it doesn't work with your computer or you don't like it, try another one.
IF you do decide to purchase a security product, go to the website for the product. See if there is a trial offer. Install the trial, take it for a test run. You'll find out real quick if it's a good fit for your computer.

The main thing is for you to get security on the new computer ASAP. Until you can install a firewall, at least turn on Windows firewall (for XP); if the OS is Vista-whatever is included with that.

{Mod Edit: Moved to More Appropriate forum~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 13 February 2008 - 01:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users