Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live One Care Scanner Question.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

Not sure if this is the correct forum but does the Windows Live One Care Scanner repair / replace any damaged registry files as part of its work.

I use it approx 3-4 times a year and remember seeing something on it finishing about repairing something or other. The reason I ask is that I think I may have inadvertantly deleted / damaged some registry items while getting rid of a corrupt installation of the latest Comodo Firewall Pro.

I am not completely sure about this as since opening a new account and moving all my files etc over to it my PC is working very well again today but I think that my old account has become corrupt and so will be deleting it just as soon as I am sure this new one is stable. I just wondered if the live care scanner could somehow save me the trouble of a repair from the installation disc if it became neccessary.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:01 PM

The scanner at http://safety.live.com will repair some registry entries if you tell it to.

This is by no means a cure for your issues - and the use of registry cleaners is discouraged here because of the number of issues that they cause.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the reply John. Hopefully it has only damaged my old account. This new account has been stable for two days now and my daughters account is also stable so perhaps i've been lucky and won't need it. I don't like messing with registry cleaners either.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users