Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continual Re-boot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 twcookies

twcookies

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:57 AM

Would really appreciate some help with this one.
Our compaq laptop (Windows Xp) was already really sluggish, I think due to the 40g hard drive being nearly full with my daughters pics and music.

Now, I think it may have picked up a nasty, it gets quite far into boot up, ie desktop icons are displayed, and then just re-boots itself ad infinitum.

A dialog box is displayed briefly saying "The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down" but I guess thats just one
of the start up apps unable to complete due to this problem.

Is there anything I can do about this other than reload Windows?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Regards,
David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:13 AM

Go to My Computer and right-click on your C drive and select Properties What is the capacity of your hard drive and how much is left? Have you ever defragged the drive. That would be the first thing to do. Of couse if it's too full you won't be able to do that. You might want to consider a USB hard drive to move some items and free up space. Depending on where your daughter downloads her stuff from, it's very possible you picked up a nasty or 2. You might want to post that problem here
Am I Infected?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:58 AM

Have you tried blowing out the system with canned air? Sometimes laptops will get clogged and overheat - causing a shutdown.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:59 AM

NB: You may need to boot into safe mode to carry out garmanma's instructions.
To do this, repeatedly press F8 when you turn the computer on, until you get a menu with options "Safe Mode, Safe mode with networking" etc. Choose Safe Mode with the arrow keys then press enter.

After following garmanma's instructions, try disabling automatic restarts. Restart your computer, repeatedly pressing F8 during startup as before. Then choose "Disable Automatic restart [blah]".

If you get a blue screen with white text, please report the numbers following the word STOP, e.g STOP 0xDEADDEAD (0x9000001, 0x99213002, 0x023123)

Edited by tswsl1989, 13 February 2008 - 12:00 PM.

Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 twcookies

twcookies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for your response.
I was planning to move a whole load to CDROM, but.....I can't do anything at the moment due to the continual rebooting.
As soon as I can get over that I can clear out the hard disk.

Anyone with any idea's about the reboot problem??

#6 twcookies

twcookies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:09 PM

ah - tswsl1989 just saw your post.
Will try your suggestion this evening and let you know how I get on!

Thanks to all,
David

#7 twcookies

twcookies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:13 AM

I can by pressing F8 boot up in safe mode. The hard disk usage is 34.6gb of the total 37.2gb
Tried to de-frag, it warned me there was only 6% free and it needed 15% but allowed me to go ahead.
However, after a while it stopped the process with an error box "Windows - System Error : Unknown Hard Error"
But, I don't think the hard disk being nearly full is the root cause of the rebooting problem, as it has been working and
recently I have deleted some stuff / programs.

Other things I tried:

* I turned off auto restart as suggested. It still continually re-boots, as usual getting quite far into boot up, displaying desktop and icons etc.

* From a safe mode boot, I tried restoring to 6th Feb, but after about 30mins of processing it said "Could not restore to 6th feb, try a different date"

(usasma, thanks for your suggestion but this problem occurs even from a stone cold boot up and it startewd happening suddenly)

Grateful as ever for previous and further suggestions!
Try a different system restore date??

David

#8 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:05 AM

as it has been working and
recently I have deleted some stuff / programs.

Did this problem occur after you deleted the programs?
And did you delete them or uninstall them via Add\Remove Programs?
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#9 twcookies

twcookies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:19 AM

Hi, all programs were 'deleted' via the Ad / Remove programs facility.
The problem did occur sometime after this but not instantly after.
David

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:18 AM

You're not going to be able to do much of anything until you get some space back on the hard drive. I'd recommend an external hard drive instead of burning CD's. Unless you get a discount on blank CD's. You should be able to move files in safemode, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:40 AM

In Safe Mode, you can move files to Hard Drives and Floppy Drives
You will not be able to burn CDs, and are highly unlikely to have acces to any USB devices.
Tom

Tswsl1989

#12 twcookies

twcookies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:54 AM

Guys, it's valentines day and I'm not allowed to play with the computer tonight!
I know I can view the files on my USB stick in safe mode, havn't tried putting anything on it, but its only 1MB stick.
Sounds like I need to buy something with a higher capacity at the weekend and make some space.
Will keep you posted.
David

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:59 PM

I'd suggest purchasing something like the Western Digital Passport line of drives. They're thin and easy to tote with you (I carry a 250 gB version in my laptop bag) and don't require an external power supply. Depending on the capacity you'll have ample room to copy everything from your laptop to the external in the event of a disaster.

BTW - Now would also be the time to start looking into backup/imaging/restoration solutions - both for this computer and for any other one's you may get in the near future (this would affect your decision on what size external drive to purchase).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 twcookies

twcookies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:57 PM

Hi Guys,

I managed to free up about 8gb of the hard drive, tried to defrag but after couple of hours (!) and still only showing
1% progress it just locked up.

I still have the basic problem: Even with auto re-start disabled the computer re-boots after displaying the desktop icons.
It boots fine in safe mode.

Following Garmanma's earlier suggestion, I've posted a description of the problem in the 'am I infected' forum here, as I
still strongly suspect its a virus or corrupt file problem rather than disk congestion?

Thanks and Regards
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users