Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Here.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chrissy54

Chrissy54

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:22 AM

I just got this vista window and it didn't come with a Word program so I can't open any of my stuff I saved on CD can anyone help me I'm so confused and frustrated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:33 AM

You may download a free Word viewer from Microsoft that will allow you to view (but not create) Word documents.
If you want something more useful, you can download the free, open source suite, OpenOffice.org., which additionally has a spreadsheet and presentation module; OO.o is compatible with Microsoft files.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Chrissy54

Chrissy54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:38 AM

Thanks John I will try that. Now the scary part is trying to download something. My ex always did the downloading and I have never downloaded anything is it easy.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:24 AM

There is nothing to it (once you have done it a few times). Click on the download link on this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

There is a big download button. Click on it. When the dialog box pops up asking you to save, select your desktop as your location. Then save it. Once it is saved, find it on your desktop, then double-click on it to install. You may have to accept a license agreement, but other than that, the installation should go fine. Once it is installed, you should be able to open your word docs. If you run into a problem, make note of the problem, and any error messages (if any), and report back here.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:59 PM

Chrissy, once you download and install something you'll wonder why it terrified you to do it.
Been there, done that. The first time I downloaded anything I was scared the computer would blow up. It didn't and my confidence level increased a few notches. Doing something new can be frightening-so take a deep breath, and hit that download button.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users