Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled Windows Sound Card Not Detected

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Ayameko

Ayameko

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:39 AM

Hi,

I have 4 local disks on my computer. C, D, E & F

I reinstalled Windows XP and somehow the operating disk changed from C to D!

In the end, when I tried playing a song from my computer via Media Player, it said that no sound card was detected.

I think perhaps the sound card is installed in the C Drive? And now the operating system changed to D Drive.

Please advice!

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:27 PM

In My Computer, are the drives now listed as D, E, F, and G? Or is there a C drive still listed. What is the make and model of your computer? If it has an add-on sound card do you know the make and model of that?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Ayameko

Ayameko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:58 AM

I really can't remember the specs for my sound card, all in Japanese, and my computer was "built" by some local guy in the Computer Mall... the point is that everything is working fine before, until I reinstalled Windows XP.

And when I tried to check the configurations for the audio files...etc... it said that the position of the files/or whatever was unknown.

My old system drive was C Drive

Now it switched magically to D Drive

I have now the following drives: C, D, E, F

It seems that the Windows program installed itself in D Drive, and C Drive still contains the "not used...but unable to delete" Windows files.

Please advice.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:11 AM

If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like you reinstalled XP on the second drive without removing it on the first drive. Do you have 4 different hard drives or one large hard drive with 4 partitions?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Ayameko

Ayameko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:00 AM

Yes I reinstalled XP on second drive without removing it on first drive. Installed in D, but C still has the Windows Program on it. And now D, the second drive became the operating drive.

The second question I'm not too sure... I'll just say everything I know... the computer is 80G, and each of the 4 drives I have have different sizes:

13G, 23G, 18G, 20G (approximately)

Perhaps it is a big drive, partitioned into 4 drives.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:32 PM

Yes, it's a single 80gig drive partitioned into 4-20gig partitions. When you reinstalled Windows, somehow you installed it on the wrong partition. I'm just now learning partitioning and ghosting, myself. Let me ask some other people for assistance so we can get this working without losing anything
Mark
Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

Does Windows give you a boot menu when it first starts, asking you which Windows installation you want to boot into?

Does both your C: and D: drives have a Windows directory on it?

Could you go to your C:\ drive in Windows Explorer, then open and copy the boot.ini file and paste it here for us to have a look at?

Once we figure this out, then we can work on fixing the sound, etc on the D: drive.

One final set of questions - what was the reason for reinstalling Windows? Were you having problems? If so, what kind of problems were they? Did you use the same product key to install both copies of Windows XP?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Ayameko

Ayameko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:55 AM

1. Windows does give me 2 options to boot, although it did not say which drive I am booting. I just chose the first option. And no sound.

2. Yes, both C: D: have Windows directory.

3. I cannot find the file "boot.ini" ... ... I tried using the search button, but could not find.

4. Reason for reinstalling Windows is because computer got infected by Trojans & Worms, my computer became so slow that I can't even open a Word Document without anything much running in the background. Now I guess I'm really protected, I have Zonealarm Firewall & Avast Antivirus.

:thumbsup: Please advice.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:58 PM

Go to Start...Run...and type in "explorer" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Go to the Tools menu and select Folder Options, then select the View tab
Scroll down and tell it to "Show hidden files"

Then navigate to the root of the C:\ drive and find the boot.ini file.
Right click on it and select Open,
Copy the text and post the results back here.

This will serve to let us know which installation is which in the boot menu. From there we can figure out the best way to help get the sound back.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Ayameko

Ayameko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:07 PM

This is found in C Drive-----------------

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

This is found in D Drive-----------------

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

It's so weird, how come they look the same? :thumbsup:

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:03 AM

Ok, first off, copy the one on the C: drive and rename the copy "boot.BAC" (without the quotes)
Then copy the one on the D: drive and rename the copy "boot.BAD" (without the quotes)

Right click on the boot.ini on the C: drive, select Properties, then remove the checkmarks at the bottom of the page (For Read Only and Hidden). then click on OK. DO the same thing for the one on the D: drive

Next, right click on the boot.ini on the C: drive and select Open.
Type in so it looks like this (I've bolded the changes that I suggest that you make):

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional_D" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional_C" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Then Save the file.

Next, right click on the boot.ini fiel on the D: drive and select Open.
Type in so it looks like this (I've bolded the changes that I suggest that you make):

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional_d" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional_c" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Then Save the file.

Please note that the _C is associated with partition(1) and the _D is associated with partition(2)
Also note that I used Capital letters for the boot.ini on the C: drive and lowercase letters for the boot.ini on the D: drive (that'll tell you which bootloader you're using.

Then, reboot and tell us which one you see (the one with the Capital letters or the one with the lowercase letters)
Then, if I'm correct in my guesses - it's the one with the "C" that will go to the old infected OS - and the one with the "D" that will go to the one in which the sound doesn't work.

Let us know what you find out.

#12 Ayameko

Ayameko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:58 AM

Please look at Part :flowers: & Part :trumpet:

:inlove:

There is a problem...

Notice that both the boot.ini files that I previously provided were the same. When I changed and saved the boot.ini file in C:, the one in D: changed as well.

After a thorough search and review, I found out that the boot.ini file that I thought belonged to D: was actually, just a shortcut to C:'s boot.ini file. In other words, the boot.ini file is located in C:, and as a shortcut in D:'s "Documents and Settings...Recent"

There just doesn't seem to be a boot.ini file for D:

Please advice.

:thumbsup:

I restarted computer, noticed the changes when I am prompted to load drives, the top one is clearly labeled _d, the bottom one _c

I chose the bottom (2nd) one, which is loading into C:. After that, I was able to get audio and sound on my computer perfectly. The only problem is that links, and files there are either missing, deleted, or corrupted. In other words, C:'s only benefit is sound, other than that, it's a bit uneasy & irritating to use.

In addition, I was unable to shut down or restart the computer whilst booting using C:

I prefer to use D: as the proper operating drive, but its just that sound problem...

Please advice.

Edited by Ayameko, 17 February 2008 - 09:29 AM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:32 AM

OK, we can fix the sound issue now that we know you want to keep the stuff on D:

The major issue is that you're booting off of the C: drive. Once the boot process finishes, it turns things over to Windows on the D: drive. Not the most efficient way to run things - and a full format of the C: drive may break the ability to boot properly.

This also increases the chances of a complete Windows failure - since a failure of either the C: or the D: drive can render Windows inoperable.

As such, I'd suggest that you consider reformatting your system and reinstalling Windows on the C: drive - but that can wait until you've got the time to backup all your stuff.

Back to the sound issue (now that you know you want to boot into the D: installation).
Go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Are there any red x's or yellow !'s ? If so, which devices are they on?

#14 Ayameko

Ayameko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:05 AM

It will be good if I can post or upload screenshots.

But anyways there are no red x's.

However, there are two yellow ?s.

In addition, one of the yellow ? has a ! attached to it.

I am now going to do a translation (as my computer operating system is not in ENGLISH):

Other "Equipment" ?
Multi-media Sound Control Controller !?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After I double-clicked the "Multi-media Sound Control Controller", it stated that "something...something... is not installed" and there was an option to re-install it.

Please do not confuse this as "Sound, Video, & Game Control Controllers" which is quite below the "Multi-media Sound Control Controller", as the former works but the latter has the ? and !? on it.

I hope I have made myself clear, I tried...

Please advice.

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:47 AM

You need the sound card driver. Download SIW. It's a application the shows what's inside your computer. Once you run it, you can go to the audio portion and find out what you have

Edited by garmanma, 18 February 2008 - 08:49 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users