Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Basic Questions For Those Who Know!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John in Oman

John in Oman

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:03 AM

Question 1 please. When I move abroad (Philippines) from Oman shortly, do I have to have my computer set up in any different way once I am there, or do i just plug in and carry on?

And No 2. How do I put all my computer info/files etc on to hard disc as a security measure and will any type of CD do the job?

Many thanks. John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:38 AM

Hi John.
Voltage is 220v-240v standard. Some hotels have 110v for us dumb americans. :trumpet:
Outlets on the walls, by american standards, are weird looking. Buy your adapter there if needed. I don't know what they look like in Jordan but here is an example for the Philippines.
Anything you take with you as far as your system is concerned obviously doesn't change. Backing up your data isn't an issue with the stuff you already have. You will run across some issues with any new equipment you purchase there though.
An example would be DVD region coding. If you currently have a home dvd player (not computer), it is most likely region 2 locked and will not play a store bought dvd movie purchased in the Philippines as they are region 3. Blank media doesn't apply of course. As far as your internet provider and physical modem connection is concerned, I'm clueless. :thumbsup:

And No 2. How do I put all my computer info/files etc on to hard disc as a security measure and will any type of CD do the job

Burn your data files on any cd\dvd you want. I'll assume you already know how to do that. Pretty basic stuff. :flowers:
If it were me, I'd also do a complete system backup on a secondary drive in case your computers HD is damaged in transit.

Edited by HitSquad, 13 February 2008 - 08:50 AM.

#3 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:39 PM

Thank you HitSquad!

Yes I know about the DVD situation. You can actually play the one's I buy in Oman (not Jordan!!) but they get all the funny subtitles like 'heavy breathing' 'applause' etc etc!.

It is much better though to sort the computer out here before going over there as they seem heavily into laptops, which I don't like, and the prices here are about 60% of the Philippine prices. We have a super cargo company in Muscat and things go out in boxes and are never sibject to customs as long as they are household items and only one of each.

Anyway thank you for your reponse but I do NOT know how to transfer the stuff onto CD like you think I do! I really am a Comp dimwit sorry to say. Must be my age I guess. I have only just learned how to cut and paste, and can't believe how simple it is.

Very best wishes and thanks again..

John

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:38 AM

Oman (not Jordan!!)

Sorry, was thinking "Amman" :flowers:
Wish I could be more informative about the Philippines but I was only there for 4 days on business.

Anyway thank you for your reponse but I do NOT know how to transfer the stuff onto CD like you think I do! I really am a Comp dimwit sorry to say. Must be my age I guess.

You're never too old. It's really very simple. You most likely already have a burning app installed.
If you do not, you can download Deepburner Free 1.8 (not pro) from here. It's about the lightest app out there for burning basic data cd's\dvd's. Complete instructions for use is here.

EDIT: BTW, good luck in the Philippines, I don't envy you though. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 14 February 2008 - 09:41 AM.

#5 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:44 AM

Thanks again! Sorry about your comment re the Philippines. Not really necessary I think but never mind. You obviously had a bad experience there! I have the capabilities of getting out if it is that bad.

Best wishes.
John

Edited by John in Oman, 15 February 2008 - 04:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users