Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dxmedia.exe

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:43 AM

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me what the heck DXMEDIA.EXE is? I was just looking through Zone Alarm to see if I could figure out if I had accidental blocked my mail program and say an entry for DXMEDIA.EXE that wasn't there yesterday.

I did a search for it on my machine but didn't find anything. I Googled it too and didn't find anything that would explain why it was on my PC or how it might have gotten there.

Any information on that bugger will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:51 AM

Looks like this might be related to Direct X.

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:12 PM

Hi frankp316, Thanks for the reply.

That's just it... I don't know what the heck its related to or why it went and stuck itself in the Programs section of Zone Alarm.

I really don't have any idea where it came from either... it just materialized there out of thin air. It doesn't show up as being a file in my system when I run a search and that's a bit puzzling.

Let me know if anything else comes to mind.

Thanks,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:27 PM

Hello Wendy,

Does ZA provide a file path for it?

I get conflicting information about the file. One site says it is file necessary for a game, a second that it is related to a movie player, and a third that it is malware.

Have you run any video related or game related programs lately either on-line or off-line?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:31 PM

It is the DirectX Media redistributable package, or possible malware.

Do a search of your computer and find out where the file is located.

This is really the only documentation that I could find on it...
http://193.251.34.28/Nouveau%20dossier/DXMedia/dxmedia.doc

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:56 PM

Hi lowtek_otc, Thanks for the reply.

I have done a search or two and that little bugger didn't show up that's what had me wondering what it was all about.

Hi Orange Blossom, Thanks for the reply.

BINGO... Thanks to you my mystery is now solved.

I had done a Google on that sucker too and I had gotten the same corn-founding results, however, your question

Does ZA provide a file path for it?

pointed my limp brain in another direction.

When I looked at ZA it indicated the path of that thing to be "D:\" and as soon as I saw that the answer came to me. Several days earlier I had trouble with my DSL and I had run the installation disk to get it straightened back out. I remember seeing that same file Symbol and file name back when I'd first set my DSL up

Anyway, I'll just delete that bugger now as I now know where it came from, and I know I won't be killing anything on my system by getting rid of it.

Thanks for the input guys.

Wendy

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:00 AM

You're welcome Wendy. I'm glad the question triggered the memory to solve the mystery. :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:53 AM

Glad the issue is resolved and it was nothing malicious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users