Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Test

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chef_franks

chef_franks

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:18 AM

Just bought some more ram and everything I read online says to run a memory test after installation to make sure its running at optimal performance. How do I do that?? Thanks again,
Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:34 AM

I've seen memtest86 recommended quite often on these boards.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 chef_franks

chef_franks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

oh there isnt anything i can do on my computer to test? i need to buy a program?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:50 PM

No, in general there isn't such a program built into your computer. The one that jhsmurray mentioned is FREE! Just follow the directions to make a bootable disk, and then follow the directions for running the test.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:02 PM

I need to know when making a bootable disk, . . Will I need a disk that is new, . . doesn't have anything else on it ?

Cause, I don't understand if I do a Mem D/L to the disk and restart the PC, will it automatically find the right D/L ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#6 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

You download MEMTEST86 to a file, burn a ISO cd (boot disk) Since your computer is set to boot first from the CD drove then the HD, it will boot to MEMTEST86(off the cd in the cd drive), and just follow the screen.

I am not sure you need to do a test after installing the ram. If you have bad ram, funny symptoms will show up shortly.

Right after a ram upgrade, I was reinstalling XP. Kept getting installation errors. Finally, removed one stick at a time, and got the bad ram exchanged. All's well..

#7 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:24 PM

OK, if I have this right you won't have to reply, I have an older PC here and I think it is getting time to test, so I'll change the boot order than change it back after.
Not a problem, . . . just wanted to say thanks,

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#8 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:51 PM

I need a little more advice.

Download the free memory testing software memtest 86+ from Microsoft (see link below). It runs on most of the configurations. You need to download the diagnostic and read the details.

Above ; Will I need to download to that PC, from the Web Site ? or can I D/L to a Disc, then upload to the PC ?

Which is Which, sorry but one is on the disc for booting which one goes to the PC, like the Desktop ?

How did I get so confused, like either the directions are a little vague or maybe I just don't understand !

Step6
Test the RAM with this software in the first phase that will take less than 30 minutes.

Step7
Reboot your computer with the disk or CD-ROM on which you installed Windows Memory Diagnostic. You will view the interface and the first test pass will be conducted. This will be followed by a second test until you exit. It will identify if there is a hardware problem of RAM or the motherboard.

I guess this is what you meant, than I right in saying that the RAM is tested with the Software first , (Step 6) ?

I was here >http://www.memtest86.com/< however I don't think the Windows Diagnostic test is here, . . I guess it is on this page >http://www.ehow.com/how_2020294_test-ram-computer.html

I'm havin a bad day I just don't know it, . . let me check into this

Edited by Jove, 24 August 2008 - 06:57 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:36 PM

Please forgive or excuse me for another drawn out affair,, I must have 235 damage somewhere.

In any case I would like to try the Simm Tester, so I will really appreciate your guidance here.

Important : Before installing DocMemory - Format the 1.44 Floppy Disk prior to software installation

-Insert a blank formated diskette into your floppy drive . (Check)

- Create a directory folder in your harddrive to save the installer zip file. , For example create a docmemory folder in your C: drive.

No Capeesh ! In your C: Drive? a Docmemory? Sorry, I don't get it!

Correction: I have opened C; and Have a new Folder ready for this ! 5:03 PM 8/25/2008

- Extract the uninstalled files from the zip archive to the C: drive created (docmemory) folder
( go to www.winzip.com to download a free copy)

OK, this must mean go to winzip and D/L a software that will instruct me to unzip and extract the files from the ; v3.1Beta_English Installer Download [v3.1b - 235kb] and move these to the folder in, (as above, "C: Drive?),

The only way I can think of to do this is to move the files (I think Extracted) from My documents to the new folder I just created in C:, does this seem reasonable? 5:07 PM 8/25/2008

Although, per Instructions;
Instruction PDF Entitled:
DocMemory PC Memory Diagnostic Software V1.45a-2001 & FreeDOS
version 2

States here that Ensure you are using Microsoft Win3.1, Win95,
and Win98 environment only. Other Win Operating Systems as Win ME,
Windows NT, 2000 and Windows XP will not work, try version 2.0

I am hoping that there will only be Version 2 when I open this with the Zip software.

- Go to the Windows -> Command Prompt
you need to be in the Command Prompt screen to install software.

- Open the directory where the files were extracted and click on "install.bat".

Does this mean I type the address into the Command prompt? or Do I somehow open the file in the directory, (is this the DocMemory file I created and somehow moved to C: ? ) Will I need to type in some special command to do that ?

- The install program will prompt you for the floppy drive and also prompt you to
insert a Formatted Floppy Disk. ( DocMemory installs either in A or B driver only).

- Check and verify all 4 files are created on the floppy drive after installation
( Autoexec.bat, command.com, docmem.exe & kernel.sys)

Step 3 Insert the installed DocMemory boot diskette into PC system that you wish to run the diagnostic. reboot PC system to begin system memory testing.

Step 4 DocMemory provides only Burnt-In Test mode covering an extensive test patterns to capture memory failures.

Oh Hell! I mean Help !

Edited by Jove, 25 August 2008 - 04:09 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users