Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access Most Things, Permissions Gone Wrong.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mechanimal

Mechanimal

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:55 AM

Hi, earlier today my computer was running 100% perfect, and I restarted to install windows updates, and when it went back into Windows, I could not access any files, or the start menu.

eg. I click on the start menu, but can't highlight anything in it. Click on any applications and I get this error as everything else I do, properties of things and all:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I'm running Windows XP Professional x64, and I tried a windows install repair, just to make sure no files were corrupted, and then afterwards went into safe mode, and could not uninstall any updates. It took me back to SP1 as well, after the repair. I'm not sure if I have everything in here, but if any more detail is needed, I'll be sure to put it down. Thanks a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:28 AM

Did you use an XP SP2 CD to do this repair?

Using an earlier version than SP2 (assuming that the system was already running with SP2 installed) would create problems.

Louis

Edited to put in "CD", a key word :thumbsup:.

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2008 - 12:41 PM.

#3 Mechanimal

Mechanimal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:04 PM

Last time I checked, it was SP2 in the corner, and all of a sudden when I'm in safe mode, it's now back to SP1.

EDIT: Is it possible for it to revert to SP1 after doing a Windows repair? 'cause if so, I'm pretty sure that is what happened.
'

Edited by Mechanimal, 13 February 2008 - 12:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users