Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Blue Screen, Can't Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BeefNut

BeefNut

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:21 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000. I regularly run Adaware and Lavasoft Spyware removal programs, as well as Trend Micro PCCillin virus protection. I ran Adaware last night, and then Trend Micro performed a scheduled virus scan this morning. I left for work, and now find a blue screen whatever I do (i.e., when I try to boot in safe mode, command prompt, last working configuration, etc..). I can't boot for anything! The blue screen reads:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restsrt your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
***Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82F23140, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)"

This particular screen came up on an attempt to start in safe mode. The text is always the same, the Tech info varies a little.

I also ran a diagnostic from the F12 boot up button options and it indicated I had a system fail for DST Short Status test, error code 1000-0142, Unit 4: Drive self test failed, Status byte = 71. (whatever all that means).

I don't have a boot disk. Am I in big trouble??? Please help!

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:32 PM

about now is the time to start running some hardware diagnostics...

if you have access to the internet+cd burner, then download a copy of seatools (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools) and burn that to a cd, and run a test over your hdd.

also download a copy of memtest (www.memtest.org) and run that overnight...

goodluck!
=)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:22 AM

http://www.geekswhoknow.com/articles/stop-...-error-code.htm

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:U4TzE...;cd=4&gl=us Scroll down to the appropriate STOP error.

I've had this one, NTFS was corrupt. I tried all recommendations for working around that or repairing, but ultimately just did a clean install of XP. Good luck!

This error has nothing to do with your memory, IMO.

Louis

#4 BeefNut

BeefNut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for your help!. I tried to download the files you recommended, but couldn't figure out how to place them on a bootable CD (I don't have a floppy drive). I found a friend with a Windows XP CD, and tried booting from that. I booted to the C: prompt and then ran chkdsk. It ran for over 4 hours, but found an error and fixed it. That did it! My computer is back.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:44 AM

Well done, happy computing :thumbsup:!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users