Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried To Install Xp Home Edition Now Computer Won't Work...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:05 PM

Hey everyone, got another computer problem for the community.

Just recently I bought a copy of Windows XP Home Edition and decided to install it on my laptop (HP dv8000 which was using Windows XP Media Center Edition). I booted the computer up from the CD (after backing up all my files) and began the slow process of installing the OS.

First, I deleted the partitions with the old operating system and then proceeded to the next step which involved reformatting the hard drive to NTFS. This worked fine until it reached 100%... The computer just died.

When I tried to boot up the computer I received and error saying "NTLDR is missing press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot"

I read around online and read that I should run chkdsk and chkdsk /r
After doing so my computer now dies after about 5 minutes regardless of what I am doing on it.

I have removed the battery and tried running the computer from just the power cable and it still dies after about five minutes.

What should I do so I can either reinstall XP Media Center Edition (through the recovery CDs or Windows XP Home Edition? :thumbsup:

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:09 PM

was the hard drive showing any signs of problems before you started reloading it?

no overheating problems? memory ones?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:10 PM

was the hard drive showing any signs of problems before you started reloading it?

no overheating problems? memory ones?

Computer was working without a problem until I tried to install XP Home

Edited by TheGrayNobleman, 12 February 2008 - 10:10 PM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

I am curious how you could get a ntdrl missing when formatting a drive? Kind of indicates there's something still on the drive?

Boot sector w/ recovery partition? was there a command at bios bootup to recover?

The computers I have reloaded with generic xp, I let the xp cd delete all partitions, are you sure you got them all?
Chewy

#5 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:24 PM

I am curious how you could get a ntdrl missing when formatting a drive? Kind of indicates there's something still on the drive?

Boot sector w/ recovery partition? was there a command at bios bootup to recover?

The computers I have reloaded with generic xp, I let the xp cd delete all partitions, are you sure you got them all?

My laptop has 2 80-gig hard drives. I had media center edition installed on one of them. I did the following steps (cause I don't know if I did anything wrong).

1) Backed up all files
2) Put in Windows XP Home Edition CD
3) Rebooted
4) Let computer boot > Pressed key when prompted > Waited for the install to finish loading everything
5) Chose install
6) Delete the partitions on both the C: and D: drives
7) Selected to reformat the C: drive with NTFS (not the quick but normal format) and install windows on that drive
8) Waited for it to finish

When it hit 100% the computer just died.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:31 PM

what does the xp cd show about the drives when you boot to it?

will the computer still die after 5 minutes if you are in bios?

I hope it's not hardware? I really liked the dual 80 gig HP laptop I worked on last month. It had come with xp pro?
Chewy

#7 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:37 PM

what does the xp cd show about the drives when you boot to it?

will the computer still die after 5 minutes if you are in bios?

I hope it's not hardware? I really liked the dual 80 gig HP laptop I worked on last month. It had come with xp pro?

It will die regardless of what window im in.

When I ran "chkdsk" it said "failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. this error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning."

It had come with Windows XP Media Center Edition but I wanted to downgrade to Home Edition because from what I had seen on the desktop computer the OS took up less space and had fewer processes running (I want to the computer to be as fast as possible).

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:09 AM

If it's an OEM version of XP Home, it expects to NOT find another hard drive.

I would temporarily disconnect that second hard drive and try the install with just the boot drive and the optical drive, just to remove unnecessary possible factors.

XP won't install until you fix the hard drive problems...manufacturers' diagnostics are available at respective hard drive websites. You can do low-level format and long check of drive. Do long check first.

Then use XP Home CD to format/install.

Louis

#9 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:28 PM

If it's an OEM version of XP Home, it expects to NOT find another hard drive.

I would temporarily disconnect that second hard drive and try the install with just the boot drive and the optical drive, just to remove unnecessary possible factors.

XP won't install until you fix the hard drive problems...manufacturers' diagnostics are available at respective hard drive websites. You can do low-level format and long check of drive. Do long check first.

Then use XP Home CD to format/install.

Louis

I think you just solved my problem. The CD was OEM although I am not sure if I can easily remove the second hard drive. I just used the recovery disks that I burned and reinstalled Media Center Edition but I will keep that in mind considering its going to be my profession.

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP HAMLUIS AND DACHEW! :thumbsup:

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:03 PM

not sure about the second drive and oem, haven't tested but doesn't make sense

bad cd maybe?
Chewy

#11 Kranic

Kranic

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

I had problems installing xp and it shut down. I may have solved it . I got a 2.5 hd enclosure. used another computer and did a dos (command prompt) format.Reinstalled the drive. booted the win xp cd. when I got to the format part I used current file system( don't format) and it installed .

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:25 PM

Congrats :thumbsup:, but I think I'd run a long test diagnostic on that drive anyway, when it's convenient.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users