Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slower Download Speed With Old Computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 compudon

compudon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:54 PM

I have 2 old computers. One is an XP with an ASUS K7S5A board , 1.4 mHz AMD. It has great download speeds up to 18 mbps. Even though its old it zooms for browsing.

The second computer is for my kids. They constantly complain about the speed when they are on webkinz and runescape. This week I am using their computer (my backup) because my XP computer is in the shop getting some new goodies. The kids computer is running Windows 98SE, Asus P5A-B, 400 mhz and has a PCI card for the network connection (circa about 1999).

I tested the speed with speakeasy and it was only 2-3 mbps download and half that for upload! No wonder they are complaining.

I am using a router so I disconnected from it and ran direct from the modem to the router to make sure the router is not at fault. When I did this I had NO internet connection at all.

My question is the network card responsible for the slow download speed or is the old board and processor the culprit? Here is what Belarc sees as the network card.

Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

I was going to upload the whole Belarc file but I think it has too much private info (IP addresses and the like) to do that.

Let me know what you all think....and its OK to tell me to trash that old piece of sh__.

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:03 PM

2-3Mbps is not a bad download speed, it certainly could be faster, What is your ISP? The upload speed is always around half or less the download speed.

As its all old stuff it could be anythings you mentioned, old motherboard, card, processor. Contact your ISP and see what they say.

Oh and welcome to Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup:
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:01 AM

If you got a download speed of 18 Mbps...I'd like to know what kind of connection that is.

I get about 6.8 Mbps at Speakeasy on cable and most persons don't do that well, from what I've seen.

And...upload speed is significantly less than download speed, much less than 50%, more like 5%. I think you forgot that upload is kbps, while download is stated at Mbps.

I'd go back and recheck all those premises.

Louis

#4 compudon

compudon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:16 AM

My reported numbers for speed are correct. My faster computer is 17000-18000 kbps download. Connection is Comcast cable. Zoom model 5241 modem. Linksys WRT54GS. Computer is wired to router. I know it's fast...the needle is pegged.

I rechecked the slow computer. As listed above 2900 kbps download, 1450 kbps upload.

The kids love to play Runescape and Webkinz on my computer. Everything works great.

But on theirs it's slow or doesn't run some of the games at all.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:34 AM

that old computer isn't worth 50$, if you can afford broadband internet it doesn't make any sense to keep it
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:45 AM

The same connection for both computers...I guess I don't see it.

The only variable would be the NICs.

Unless one is rigged for gigabit ethernet and the other isn't, I would not expect great divergence.

But, stranger things happen.

FWIW: Try putting a new NIC in the old system and see what happens, http://www.amazon.com/Hawking-HGA32T-Gigab...r/dp/B00008ZLBD

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2008 - 11:47 AM.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:01 PM

even an old 10 base ethernet card would handle 600KB/s or 6000Kb/s

a 400Mghz cpu trying to handle fast internet is going to choke
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

Wow...I'd have t pay like 90$ a month for internet like that with 1MB upload! Runescape from my small experiance shouldn't be that internet intensive. It's a 2D MMO if I remember. I use to run a similar MMO on a 512kb/sec DSL and it ran pretty well. You sure that the 400MHz isn't the cause, I use to have a P2, 300MHz and that thing would definetly choke trying to handle a game and such a quick connection.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users