Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Not Detected

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 daazndrgon

daazndrgon

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:34 PM

Hello, My computer cannot detect my keyboard. Everytime I turn on my computer I have to unplug and plug back my keyboard into the usb port. This worked for a while but now I have to uninstall my the drivers which says "HID Keyboard Device" and click on the add hardware manager to install it everytime. I use to be able to just plug it into the usb port in the front of my computer and it worked fine. This is getting annoying because everytime I boot my computer I have to replug it. Can anyone here help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

Did you try any of the rear USB ports?

Any other USB devices attached and experiencing problems?

Where did you get the idea...that you have uninstall drivers?

How long has this problem existed? Have you ever used this USB keyboard normally (without problems)?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2008 - 06:43 PM.

#3 daazndrgon

daazndrgon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:20 PM

yes i tried all of the usb ports and its the same problem. it told me to reinstall drivers on the help and support place. i had this problem for a long time but it worked after i plugged into front of computer usb port but now it dont work anymore and same for the back

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:22 PM

Not sure if this is the answer to what is wrong...but you can always buy a USB 2.0 PCI card and install that.

I find that onboard USB is good when it works properly...but isn't worth the time/attention people devote to it when it doesn't work properly.

A USB 2.0 controller card solves that particular situation...for less than $10.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815106505

Louis

#5 daazndrgon

daazndrgon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

i dont think that theres something wrong with usb ports because my printer is and ipod adapter are plugged into 2 of them so I'm not sure.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:15 AM

Well...hate to disillusion you...but all the ports don't go at once necessarily.

I have four onboard ports on this system, only 2 of them work properly. I counter that with a PCI card which works 100%.

Good luck.

Louis

#7 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:34 PM

You might want to check if there are updated drivers for the keyboard available from the manufacturer. Might not be of use, but it eliminates one potential problem.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:35 PM

I would suggest opening Device Manager and expand all of the +'s. Look for any yellow exclamation points, indicating problems with that device
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 daazndrgon

daazndrgon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:49 PM

I would suggest opening Device Manager and expand all of the +'s. Look for any yellow exclamation points, indicating problems with that device

Yeah thats what I see when i open up the device manager

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:10 PM

Yeah thats what I see when i open up the device manager

Where do you see them? By which device?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#11 daazndrgon

daazndrgon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:40 AM

It's under Human Interface Devices and theres a whole bunch of HID and USB but theres 2 that has the yellow exclamation next to it.

#12 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:09 AM

If you double click the devices with the exclamation marks, what is the error given on the properties tab.
You should get a description and a code number.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:01 AM

It is a USB problem. I had this problem myself. To be honest, the quickest and easiest fix, is to buy a PCI-USB card. They're under 10 bucks. Takes 5 minutes to install.
You can try unplugging all of the USB devices and uninstalling the USB drivers then downloading new one from the maker of your computer. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't

Edited by garmanma, 14 February 2008 - 09:03 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

#14 Durator

Durator

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:08 PM

It's under Human Interface Devices and theres a whole bunch of HID and USB but theres 2 that has the yellow exclamation next to it.

I had a similar problem with USB ports not wanting to work whilst some did. I made a new System Restore Point and then removed the complete USB tree from the device manager. Next to die was the Input Device (HID = Human Interface Device) Then close down Windows and switch off (Important). Switch on and let windows put it all back together again.

Maybe worth a try.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:10 PM

Are you up-to-date on all your Windows Updates? Check the optional ones to see if there's one that affects your USB. I've found this issue on a couple of Gateway's recently - but the fix that I've got doesn't have a KB article associated with it (and it doesn't work on all Gateways).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users