Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Roars At Startup!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bschoeck

bschoeck

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:18 PM

Hello everyone, could someone possibly help? I THINK this is a hardware thing!

About 6 months ago, I moved, and my desktop had some problems after I plugged it back in: it would get to the "Windows: loading" page and then crash, or the monitor would read "NO SYNC". After 3 or 4 tries, both were solved.

(I followed the bleepingcomputer tutorial on how to make your computer faster, with Spybot, CCleaner, defrag, cleaning the hardware with canned air, etc. Worked well, for a while!)

More recently, I turn the computer on, and it roars, as if all the machinery is cranked to the highest speed--whirring, shaking, and rattling the case. If I gently hit it, the whirring shifts down, but builds up again. However, it goes back to normal once the desktop and all the icons load.

I recently moved again (this time, just changing rooms in the same house!). The problems from above (not starting up, NO SYNC) returned, sporadically. The roar is still happening. Sometimes it freezes on "Windows: loading", or on the black screen that follows, or the desktop appears but it takes 5 minutes for the icons to come on.

Parenthetically, I took it to a computer repair shop (here in Taiwan). The guy said my computer is just getting old, and on top of that, the fans were dirty (still). I bought my computer from a friend, and I believe its only 2 years old. Is it dying?

It's Windows XP SP2,
AMD Celeron processor

Thanks so much if you have any ideas!

-Brian S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

Well...if the fans are dirty, what else is dirty?

Maybe the system just needs cleaning with canned air...maybe the fans are wearing out...maybe it's normal.

Hard to troubleshoot sounds from afar.

I do know that dirty fans are not conducive to proper functioning of a system, but rather...probably tend to promote system temperature increases (which may cause the fans to work at max).

Don't know.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:17 PM

Besides using air to clean the fans, you have to get underneath the CPU fan and make sure the heatsink fins are clean. I usually take the fan off to ensure this. Also grab the heatsink and give it a gentle back and forth wiggle and make sure it's secure on the CPU
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 bschoeck

bschoeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:42 PM

Besides using air to clean the fans, you have to get underneath the CPU fan and make sure the heatsink fins are clean. I usually take the fan off to ensure this. Also grab the heatsink and give it a gentle back and forth wiggle and make sure it's secure on the CPU

Thanks for your replies! garmanma, just one thing...where is the CPU fan, and the heatsink? Forgive my computer illiteracy! I opened the case, and cleaned 4 fans: 3 seem to blow heat out of the box, and one is on a small circuit board. On the back of the CPU, near the top, there is a fan which does not spin ever, and it's in a box (I'm looking at it through the vent on the back). This box has a warning that users cannot service it, and should take to a pro-repair shop. What's that one about?

Thanks again!

#5 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:47 AM

the heatsink sits on top of your CPU most likely looks something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835103031. If you're not comfortable i personally wouldn't recommend touching it, blow it out yes, but the cpu is very sensitive, pretty easy to mess it up. the box you're talking about is the power supply, kinda seems strange to me that it never spins, but gonna let the experienced folks you're already talkin to field that one

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:39 AM

the heatsink sits on top of your CPU most likely looks something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835103031. If you're not comfortable i personally wouldn't recommend touching it, blow it out yes, but the cpu is very sensitive, pretty easy to mess it up. the box you're talking about is the power supply, kinda seems strange to me that it never spins, but gonna let the experienced folks you're already talkin to field that one

You're just removing the fan, not the heatsink from the CPU.

The fan not turning is to your power supply and is more than likely overheating. Then fan is not replaceable. You need to buy a power supply

Edited by garmanma, 18 February 2008 - 08:41 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users