Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Worth $54 Million?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:46 PM

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2008/02/a-lost-laptop-a.html#posts
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:48 AM

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2008/02/a-lost-laptop-a.html#posts

It isn't just BB - all of the major retailers will try and bully you into spending hundreds of dollars on "extras", but as soon as they have your $$ and you are out the door, they don't really care if they ever see you again. There are thousands of other consumers they can abuse. And taking a defective item back to one of them and requesting that they live up to the service agreement that they practically shoved down your throat will only get you labeled as a troublemaker.

After she dropped off her computer, one of the stores disgruntled employees probably just tossed it in a dumpster. So much for "service". :thumbsup:

Edited by MattV, 13 February 2008 - 12:49 AM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:33 PM

I hope she wins and get s a sizable though reasonable settlement
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:48 AM

Mistake #1

When Campbell bought her new laptop in 2006 at a Best Buy store

Mistake #2

she said a clerk talked her into paying $300 for an extended warranty

Mistake #3

bringing a damaged laptop computer into a Best Buy electronics store for repairs

Mistake #4

was asked by a lawyer there whether she had any personal information on the computer?
"Of course I did," she replied. "My tax returns were on there."

Mistake #5

Campbell immediately enrolled in a $10-a-month identity theft monitoring service

Was she taken advantage of? Of course, she went to Best Buy.
I know for a fact that Best Buy puts you on a "cheap skate" black list if you decline extended warranties. They were forced to flat out admit it when it was discovered. I'm sure they're not alone though.
Call me cruel but she should have known better then to keep sensative "personal" data on a laptop, which can be stolen at any given time. Now she's being ripped off again with a theft monitoring service, which does nothing you can't do yourself for free. She'll probably just repeat the same mistakes all over again (except possibly the warranty) when she buys her next laptop at Cicuit City, CompUSA or the like.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:34 PM

And mistake #6:

In November, she filed her $54 million lawsuit against Best Buy -- by herself, without legal representation

That is akin to doing surgery on oneself. Given that she is not the most savvy of folks, I suspect this case will get thrown out of court, unless she gets good legal representation in time, and even then I've my doubts.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:53 PM

Americans seem to have a Sue, Sue, Sue, mentallity. Get rich quick,by Fair or Foul means,doesn't matter.

#7 zang

zang

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

Campbell freely admits she picked the same amount in an effort to attract media attention.

I think this was a dumb move all together just for media attention. Waste of time and money for her as it seems she is concerned with other things than just the laptop. :thumbsup:
If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?
If con is the opposite of pro what is the opposite of progress?

#8 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:29 PM

And mistake #6:

In November, she filed her $54 million lawsuit against Best Buy -- by herself, without legal representation

That is akin to doing surgery on oneself. Given that she is not the most savvy of folks, I suspect this case will get thrown out of court, unless she gets good legal representation in time, and even then I've my doubts.

The way I read it, she isn't doing this to get rich quick. She's doing it to generate as much negative publicity that she can for BB.

I really can't go into any details, but I have plans to take an insurance company to court sometime in the next six months or so. Not that I entertain any delusions of actually winning anything from the case. I just want to generate as much negative publicity for this company as I possibly can. If I do happen to make a couple of bucks out of the deal at the same time, so much the better.

I'd like to see a trend develop. I'd like to see more people exposing the mis-treatment they suffer at the hands of those that don't give a damn about anything beyond "shareholder value". I wonder how the shareholder's would react to losing "value" because of the callous, uncaring, and inhuman ways in which the "customers" of these mega-corporations are treated. (They'd probably demand that these companies bring their value back up by screwing over their employees. Like Wal-Mart does.)

Edited by MattV, 18 February 2008 - 10:31 PM.

#9 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:45 PM

Call me cruel but she should have known better then to keep sensative "personal" data on a laptop, which can be stolen at any given time...

This is somewhat :thumbsup: but the majority of people that I know that own laptops never take them out of the house. When they need to use the machine, they'll open it up on the kitchen table; when they are finished it will go back up on a shelf, out of the way.

I wonder how common (or uncommon) this is. We don't live in or near any major metropolitan areas, such as New York, Boston, Chicago, etc. The "hub" of southwestern New Hampshire is the city of Keene, pop. ~30,000. (The population of the entire state is only about 1.5M.) How many people regularly carry their laptops around with them, and how many just use them at home, I wonder?

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:49 AM

The majority of folks I know carry their laptops many places: school, library, work, to retreats, on vacation etc.
---------
The mistake I referred to in the earlier post was not precisely filing suit. It was doing so without a lawyer or legal advice. There would be far more publicity if the case actually goes to court rather than getting thrown out, which at this point is the likelier scenario.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:25 AM

Yes, definitely reminds me of that dry cleaning lawsuit... I wonder if this lawsuit will win the Stella awards....
Although it's true that it was rather idiotic to put personal information on a laptop AND bring it to any store without making a backup and cleaning the personal files, she does deserve compensation for her time and effort. Service wise, she deserves it: she doesn't really need $54Mil, but Best Buy definitely deserves to pay up that much; if customer service like that was "highly reliable" then screw that. Just go somewhere like Bleepingcomputer :thumbsup:
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#12 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:12 PM

I am forced to cancel my plans for causing an insurance company grief. I was on the phone this afternoon with a young lady that was helpful, patient, courteous, and who knew what was going on! Wrapped up the whole problem in about twenty minutes, after months of frustration.

After we finished, I had her transfer me over to her supervisor's voice mail and left a favorable message about her.

In a half a century, I believe this is only the second time I have experienced someone at an insurance company that expended some extra effort on actually being helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users