Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Has Linux And Can't Log In

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spix14

spix14

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:47 PM

My hubby bought a compaq v5000 at the pawn shop (uhg) and when we turned it on, it had some weird sign on screen. Well, we took it to the computer repair shop and he told us that it has linux installed on it. I do not know the slightest thing about linux. I have never even SEEN a computer with linux on it. Also, we do not know the password to sign on, so we can't even get into linux. Is there any way to get in without knowing the password? Can we install windows on the computer instead? PLease help, I am lost. Even if we did get into it I don't know how to work Linux, is it way different than Windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:25 PM

Yes, you can install Windows on the machine, providing that you have a copy of Windows.

Yes, there is a way to bypass the login on a linux system. However, if you know nothing about the system, then none of what I would tell you to do would make any sense at all. And one of our rules at BC is that we do not discuss bypassing security measures. We have no way of knowing whether or not you really do own a second hand laptop with linux installed, or if you are really trying to get into a system that doesn't belong to you. Really though, there are hundreds of sites that tell you how to do it.... we just are not one of them. Sorry.

I'll leave the "linux different that windows' discussion for someone else, but it has already been discussed quite a few times on here, and poking around the linux forum here might answer some of your questions.

#3 spix14

spix14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:45 PM

I kind of thought that might be the case. *sigh* I understand but it is very frustrating! I am beginning to think I wasted my money to buy a computer that I don't know how to use. Ok one more question, if you can answer this one-I am pretty sure that the computer had Windows XP on it before whoever it was installed linux, is it possible to "recover" windows, so to speak, or does it get wiped when you put linux on?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:24 PM

It gets wiped.

#5 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:34 AM

Have you tried going back to the shop you bought it at? they might know something and if you're not going to keep Linux anyway its just going to get wiped during the install.

#6 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:17 PM

If you're familiar with windows then i would just install that. As previously stated, if you know nothing at all about an operating system, then go with the one you are more comfortable with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users