Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Remove All Things..norton/symantec...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Laura D

Laura D

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

Hi there,
I'm sure glad I found you, you people are so knowledgeable...I have just had it up to here :trumpet: with NIS+NSW and add on...My Norton NSW hasn't worked a day since I got in in Nov 07, anyway yesterday after intense interaction with norton techs, they actually linked into my computer to try to fix the problem and that didn't work, so I'm ditching Norton for AVG. I used Norton remove tool & have scanned with error smart, but going to add/remove programs I find: Symantec Techincal Suppot Web Control---> and when I try to remove I get this-->Error 1402 could not open key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\classes\Symcontrolchecker.controllinstaller\CLSID
verify you hvave suffient access to that key, or contact support personnel

I don't want to contact them or download anything else from them (you have to, to get on chat with them :flowers: )
Anyone have a idea? I ran a Highjack me and couldn't find it in there.

Edited by Laura D, 12 February 2008 - 02:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:08 PM

Well...that message is pointing to a registry key.

Deleting that key would accomplish what you seem to want, IMO.

If you are not comfortable working in the registry, I advise you to just forget about it...or, if you insist on doing so, backup your registry and find ONLY the key in question...and delete it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

I used Symantec products until about 18 months ago, never had the heartburn that some users seem to have. Of course, you know that there probably still are other registry entries on your system related to NIS/NSW/Symantec. There are worse things in life :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 rabidsloth

rabidsloth

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:30 PM

Norton Removal Tool

Download the Norton removal tool, it was made by Symantec because they realize their product sucks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:51 PM

If you read the initial post....<<I used Norton remove tool & have scanned...>>.

Even after using that tool, I'm willing to bet that registry entries remain, as they do for some programs which users assume have completely uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs.

Options are to not worry about such or use a registry cleaner properly and with respect or do manual editing of the registry (takes some time).

I've done all three from my Symantec days (NIS/NSW/NAV).

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:57 PM

Usasma had a thread on this awhile ago, but I can't find it. Basically, you're in for a rough ride. There are extra keys not labeled Norton that need to be deleted. I'll see if I can get him to check in quick
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:24 PM

The issue with Symantec/Norton that you're referring to is different from my situation. In my situation, the user had installed a Norton product while his BIOS was at a default date. Then he updated the date - and Norton took note of that (and expired his program). Then it wouldn't let him install the product again because it had expired.

It took about 4 hours of hunting around the registry and deleting stuff (using good guesses, not a recommended method) to allow us to reinstall the Norton product.

In this case, since it's erroring out with permissions issues, I'd take ownership of that key (rather than deleting it) to see if that helps.

Have you tried to reinstall the product and then attempted to remove it with the Norton Removal Tool? Sometimes that will get over the glitches.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Laura D

Laura D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

Thank you all for your replies! :flowers: The reason I am worried about this is because I was using "Logmein123" with their techs and they had control of the computer last night while they were trying to find out what the problem was (NSW)...this morning the computer(even after I used the Norton removal tool)kept opening up online to the same Norton web site where I was before I terminated the session with the tech. That's why I'm so concerned about it. :thumbsup:

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:52 PM

The computer kept trying to connect to Symantec - or was it just your browser pointing to their website?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Laura D

Laura D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

The computer kept trying to connect to Symantec - or was it just your browser pointing to their website?

The browser actually open up by itself to their website :inlove: at least 2 times! And I tried to use the delete w/reboot.(nifty little program I found) in the add/remove section but it wouldn't work there :thumbsup: I just don't trust ANYTHING by them at all :flowers:
Thanks to everyone who has answered, there is a wealth of info in this blog thanks to you all :trumpet:

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:40 PM

You can also use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility Check any box that refers to Norton (if any)
*** Do not use utility ith MS Office Products***
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:41 AM

What I'm trying to determine here is if this is a browser hijack (forcing you to visit Symantec.com) or if it's the LogMeIn app trying to connect to their servers.

It sounds to me that that may be the case here. I'd suggest deleting anything relating to Symantec and LogMeIn from your Add/Remove Programs.

If this happens on startup, you can use this free application ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx ) to track down the bugger in your startups that's launching it.

#12 Older_Than_Dirt

Older_Than_Dirt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:10 PM

I have found Symantec and Norton to be one of the most registry engorging software products out there. Norton was great when it first started---on one floppy disk! I have used Norton for many years but quit after XP came out and having bad experiences with it. As everyone has already recommended to backup everything, which is a good idea, I would have a go at "Run>Regedit" and using the "Find" function to search for every Norton and Symantec entry that you can find and delete them. Include the "Legacy" entries as well. You will need to have Admin privileges and even then you may have to give yourself permission to delete an entry. I have done this for myself and on a few other systems with no ill effect (your mileage may very!). I have yet to find any reg-cleaner that will delete all of the entries. I have found that some programs out there that monitor installations can do a reasonable job of removing most of the entries made during installation. They basically take a picture of your system and registry before and after an installation. A reasonably good free one is ZSoft Uninstaller 2.4.1. Here is the link: http://www.zsoft.dk/ I monitor all installations now. I like to try before I buy and have found only a very few programs with good uninstallers.
People might except some dishonesty and even a modicum of corruption in politics if.............
there was at the minimum an illusion of competency!!

#13 Laura D

Laura D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestions...I think I might start with the installer cleanup...and then maybe do the Run>Regedit
I'm wondering though OTD...what are "Legacy" entries? Are they Symantec too?
Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated :thumbsup:

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

OTD...what are "Legacy" entries? Are they Symantec too?

http://www.wilderssecurity.com
http://www.lazydba.com
Mark
Posted Image

#15 Laura D

Laura D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

Ok, I went Run>Regedit---->and followed all the way to \classes...
I found many symantec there and deleted most, but there were a few that couldn't be deleted :thumbsup: "Error while deleting"
SymControl.Checker.control Checker1
SymControl.Checker.control checker
SymControl.IPS Web protection
SymControl.Drivelist
Symantec.BlockmapCtr

So are these legacy files?
Would the delete with reboot tool work?
Any other ideas? :flowers:
Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users