Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Recovery Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ltvvaughn

ltvvaughn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

I had an old computer running Windows 98 and attached a second internal hard drive. I saved many files to this hard drive. When the old computer quit working, I took out the second hard drive and put it into an external hard drive case. When I tried to access the files, they were not legible when opened (MS Word 97-2003 files) or would not open at all. The files appear to be all there (file size and properties are as they should be). When I attempt to open a .jpg file with Irfanview, it tells me that it "Can't read file header !" I have tried copying the files to another hard drive but they won't open thee either. Most of the files are not important but some of the photos and documents are. Can ANYONE give me some idea of how to save these files? :trumpet: :thumbsup: :flowers:

I've tried to upload one of the problem files but the system won't let me do it.

Edited by ltvvaughn, 12 February 2008 - 01:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:51 PM

Try running chkdsk over the partition where the recovered items are.

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html Skip down to the second set of instructions (Graphical Version) and follow instructions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users